Ask Your Question
3

Disable window snap in Gnome 3?

asked 2013-07-11 21:46:41 -0500

iforce2d gravatar image

updated 2014-09-30 06:38:58 -0500

mether gravatar image

On Fedora 17 I notice that windows edges are snapped to the edge of other windows, and the screen edges, when moving them around, and for the most part this is nice.

I use an application which I like to set up so that the edges of the window are close to the edge of the screen, and I can do this by sizing the window so that the edges are just outside the range of the snap influence. The application stores its position and size so that when closed and reopened it starts in the same place you left it.

However when it restarts, the screen edge snapping takes effect (even though though the window is not within range of the screen edges) and the window ends up maximized. By playing around with it a bit, it seems this happens if the window edges were left within about twice the normal snap effect distance from the edge when closing the app.

How can I turn off this snapping altogether? Note that I'm not talking about "aero snap" which makes a window take up half the screen, or maximizes it - that was a problem too but I already turned that off (by turning off "edge tiling" in dconf-editor).

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

I found that xdotool/wmctrl mapped to a keyboard shortcut is a good solution to quickly get the window where I want after starting the app each time, but it would be nice to know how to disable the snapping anyway...

iforce2d gravatar imageiforce2d ( 2013-07-11 21:57:11 -0500 )edit

I'm confused You have turned of the feature of edge tiling, that would cause a window to be maximized if 'snapped' to the top of the screen. Then, you start an application, and if the stored window state has a position close to the top edge, it still will open in a small window, and visibly snap to a maximized state?

randomuser gravatar imagerandomuser ( 2013-07-12 00:48:23 -0500 )edit

No, it just appears maximized immediately. Playing with it a bit more, it does not seem related only to the top edge. It's more like if any combination of three or more edges are significantly close to the screen edge, and the window covers about 80% or more of the screen, then it will open maximized. It almost seems as if some clever heuristic is at work, determining whether the window was supposed to be maximized or not. If so then they have done a good job, but I'd just like to turn it off for what I'm doing, that's all.

iforce2d gravatar imageiforce2d ( 2013-07-12 01:28:53 -0500 )edit

I suspect the idea here is that if the window already covers a 80% of the screen, the remaining 20% isn't large enough to display another application. There's probably a gsettings key for this too...

randomuser gravatar imagerandomuser ( 2013-07-12 09:18:19 -0500 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
2

answered 2016-02-03 12:03:12 -0500

To disable it, go to terminal and type in:

su
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.overrides edge-tiling false
edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2013-07-11 21:46:41 -0500

Seen: 3,566 times

Last updated: Feb 03 '16