After going through hell with the nvidia drivers (hourly system crashes, lockups, random audio drops, etc), I’m going back to nouveau. Unfortunately, I did <something> to disable nouveau when I first installed nvidia drivers and I don’t remember exactly what it was. I’m assuming nouveau is disabled since I’m getting the 1024x768 resolution we know and love and associate with no graphics driver.
Fedora 34. GTX 960.
Things I’ve checked
- /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf is empty
- I have removed /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
- I have removed the nouveau blacklist line from /etc/default/grub and regenerated with grub2-mkconfig for both EFI and legacy to be safe
- Rebuilt boot image with dracut
- Removed all nvidia* packages with dnf
- Upgraded kernel (now to 5.13.5)
What else might I have done? Is this even a nouveau problem? I’m doubting everything at this point.
I’m running out of things to try here. No obvious issues in journalctl -xe or /var/log/Xorg.0.log (although I don’t really know what I’m looking for).
About this system in settings gives "Graphics: llvmpipe(LLVM 12.0.0, 256 bits) which I assume is wrong.
I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance! Let me know if I can provide any information.