After installing Fedora, cannot install windows 10 (on 3 computers) media drivers not fount

Hi guys,

I really got into Fedora after being Windows only user for my whole life. Installed in on desktop, my laptop and my new laptop too. The problem is, that I wanted a dualboot on my desktop, but after booting from USB it wanted media drivers. That didn’t really bother me, because I had plenty other things to do and didn’t need windows, but now, after getting a Lenovo Flex 5 14ALC05 I installed Fedora, but had no way of getting display autorotation working so I decided to install Windows. After 5 hours of “media drivers not fount”, switching usb ports, trying to completely clean the NVMe with diskpart, even creating a partition, formatting it in Fedora live, downloading generic NVMe drivers, Intel drivers, praying to gods. Nothing works for me. The same goes for my old laptop and desktop. I noticed, that while loading the usb with Windows (and completely clean main drive), it said something like “To boot from DVD press any key” with the “typical linux font”, which is pretty weird to me, since Fedora was installed on the NVMe that I cleaned like 3 times. So my hypothesis is, that somehow there is a linux bootloader stuck in wherever it can be stuck and I need to reinstall it with windows capable bootloader. Anyway, anything that might help me would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are installing windows 10 in uefi mode the disk MUST be partitioned as GPT.
Doing things with both windows and linux causes problems. The only clean way I have found is to be sure that the system is set to the boot mode you want (Most newer systems should always be UEFI) then do a new install with windows first. Telling it to use the entire disk will arrange things properly for windows. Once windows has completed the install and initial config is done then you can use the disk manager to shrink the windows partition to the desired size and install fedora on the newly unallocated space. You could use custom install and mount the existing windows efi partition as /boot/efi while creating new partitions for everything else – or just do an automatic install in open space and it will do the partitioning for you and automatically use the efi partition already mentioned.

1 Like