Am i benefiting from ssd?

I install fedora with automatic partition with encryption. The only change I made was choosing ssd as the boot and efi partition instead of hd.

Now I see that the hd and ssd has been combined into one large space. Seeing that I see no improvement in opening app and such am i benefiting for ssd or has the ssd speed been adjusted to that of hd.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’d like to add on benchmark test on gnome disk and the ssd had average read of 1.7G and 267.3M on hd. Please help.

You have to split up /boot /home and / to the different drives. I think with automatic setup this is not happening. These days, automatic partitioning provides you with BTRFS filesystem. If you want to keep that, you need to do Advanced partitioning and create one volume on the SSD and one volume on the HDD. I would recommend putting /, /boot, and /boot/efi onto the SSD and put /home on the HDD.

With the previous default filesystem (ext4 on LVM, luks optional) you can do the same, just not automated, you need to tell the Installer what it’s supposed to do.

3 Likes

Is reinstalling the only option?
Is the benifit of having root in ssd and home in hd worth it?

in my opinion yes. (in theory you may change this from a live system, however, chances are high that you mess it up if you are not familiar with btrfs pools, grub, fstab, …)

Absolutely. Make sure /boot and efi partition also reside on the ssd

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind help.

I believe it is worth the effort.
It can be even faster if you fit the entire system and home on the SSD.
Then just relocate the heavy user directories to the HDD.

4 Likes

Thanks will be sure to look into it.

If you can link me to how to’s it be much appriciated.

1 Like

You can simply follow the official Fedora installation guide:

After installation, edit the user directories configuration:

gedit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

And specify the path to your HDD mount point.

3 Likes

And take a look at
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-33-separate-btrfs-partitions-on-ssd-and-hdd/76534/2

It shows the setup you are looking for…

3 Likes

One issue with having partitions/filesystems spanning disks is that it comes with the same risks as running raid0. Either disk failing takes out the entire setup. This means you have 2 points of potential failure that can wipe out your machine completely.

If you had / on the SSD and /home on the HD then you have the risk of losing the OS if the SSD fails and your data if the HD fails, but not both with a single failure.

4 Likes

actually not, you can resize btrfs only to one drive (ssd), and then create a new home on hdd, move old home to new one, then finally, Adapt the /etc/fstab.

but if unsure how to, better backup and reinstall.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.