AMD support in Fedora 33

I’m currently using Fedora 33 in a VM and considering to install it on my computer, which has a RX480 card. I’m not sure if Fedora supports AMD graphics card out of the box or if the drivers must be installed separately.

Thanks.

Out of the box. You don’t have to fiddle.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. Excuse my ignorance, but do Fedora’s driver include hardware acceleration? I plan to use the computer for home/office, watching videos, etc. Is there any benefit installing AMD drivers from AMD website?

No there is not really any reason you would want to install those drivers. I don’t think they even work on fedora without repackaging. The drivers that come with fedora (and all distros because its part of the linux source) are made by AMD as well and work exceptionally well.

As far as I can tell the only reason you would want to install the ones AMD hosts on their website is if you need openCL for something like blender.

2 Likes

Thanks for information.

Probably amdgpu driver has “LTS bug” 1881889 – [abrt] amdgpu_dm_backlight_update_status: WARNING: CPU: 2 PID: 3250 at drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/../display/dc/core/dc_link.c:2546 dc_link_set_backlight_level+0x8a/0xf0 [amdgpu] [amdgpu]