Anyone Got VMWare or Virtualbox setup on Fedora 30 with Kernel Version 5?

I ended up installing the Fedora 30 Xfce Spin and I’m loving it so far! There is a problem however. I use VMWare Workstation Player as my go to virtualization software but I’ve seen that people on other distros that are using the Linux kernel version 5 are having issues with it. Has anyone on Fedora 30 with this kernel version installed it successfully? After installing all the updates for my system I’m on version 5.0.13. I absolutely need some sort or virtualization software for my daily tasks and VMWare is what I’m used to. I know Virtualbox has not released a package for Fedora 30 yet. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hello. I know that this is not an answer to your question. But have you ever tried KVM?

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about it. I have not, I wouldn’t mind trying out something new as long as it can do what I need it to such as:

• Shared Folders with both Windows and Linux Guests
  • Shared Clipboards
  • Network Configurations

No problems here. virtualbox is available for Fedora 30 from the RPMFusion repo.

RPMFusion’s virtualbox package lags VirtualBox’s releases by a bit, but it takes a while for VirtualBox’s own repo to provide packages for the latest Fedora releases. That’s why I went with RPMFusion. (Same story with Docker’s docker-ce package vs the equivalent moby-engine in Fedora’s repo.)

Installed Packages
Name         : VirtualBox
Version      : 6.0.6
Release      : 3.fc30
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 16 M
Source       : VirtualBox-6.0.6-3.fc30.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : rpmfusion-free-updates
Summary      : A general-purpose full virtualizer for PC hardware
URL          : http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox
License      : GPLv2 or (GPLv2 and CDDL)
Description  : VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization
             : product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is
             : VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product
             : for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional
             : solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under
             : the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.
             : 
             : Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and
             : Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating
             : systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP,
             : Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10),
             : DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4, 2.6, 3.x and 4.x), Solaris and
             : OpenSolaris, OS/2, and OpenBSD.

virtualbox

1 Like

I’m use virtualbox in F30. it’s a stable work…and fine…don’t worry!

1 Like

All of those are handled by GNOME Boxes (a kvm-based GUI), except I don’t know what you mean exactly by “Network Configurations”. The network is automatically added by Boxes and always working.

Though of course, since you’re on Xfce, that does mean adding a few more GTK/GNOME-related libraries.

Well, there is also virt-manager (sudo dnf install virt-manager) as a GUI, that is a bit more complex than GNOME Boxes, but it offers more options (also talking about networking: NAT, bridge, etc.)

I use VMware Workstation and it works fantastically. I’d recommend it over VirtualBox, but I haven’t used VirtualBox in years, so…

I had to install kernel-devel and elfutils-libelf-devel to build the kernel modules, and when the kernel is updated (next version, not point release), I have to hope that the modules are still compatible. A good place to check is rglinuxtech.com. If they aren’t, the site normally links patches from a GitHub repository which you can assume are trustworthy (or check).

Because I use secure boot, I had to generate and enroll a MOK keypair and sign the two modules using a script in kernel-devel against my MOK key.

VMware has instructions, or I can send if you want.

Some of this might be different for VirtualBox.

Here is the solution of your problem:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/howto-how-to-resolve-issues-for-vmworkstation-and-vmplayer-any-kernel-any-version/73365

I also point you to this TOPIC, there are other virtualization ways:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/vmware-unable-to-start-services/73066/2

Regards.,