Application Icons "stuck" in Activities Overview (Fedora 34 / Gnome 40)

Hello,

I installed Fedora 34 with Gnome a few days ago, and everything worked fine until yesterday, when I noticed that I wasn’t able to move the icons in the Activities Overview (i.e., Super Key → “Show Applications”) any longer. The applications still open as normal, but I can’t reorder them or group them together anymore - clicking and dragging does nothing. The same goes for the Favorites bar, although I can still add/remove to/from it via the right-click context menu. The problem persists after reboots.

I figured I might have activated a “lock” function by accident, but I haven’t found anything of the sort so far. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same problem.

@fenriswolf I noticed that when you click on an icon you want to move and hold for ~ 2 seconds (without moving the mouse) you are then able to rearrange the icons. That happened after a recent update. It was not like that for sure.

2 Likes

Ah, I checked and can confirm that, thank you. Seems like an intended change then, not a bug? Not exactly obvious or intuitive, if you ask me, but fine.

@fenriswolf

I filed a bug for this. The problem is also for people who use GNOME Tweaks. On Fedora 33 you could click and drag from the Top Bar. But on Fedora 34 you can’t.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.