ASUS T102HA Camera and fingerprint not working

Hi all, thanks for Fedora 30 which worked out of the box on my device after I had tried many other distros!
The only bits not working are the face camera and the fingerprint sensor.
Here are the results from lsusb and lspci for anybody who can help:

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f3:0903 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 13d3:3501 IMC Networks
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0b05:183b ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 36)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers (rev 36)
00:0a.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Device 22d8 (rev 36)
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 36)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 36)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 36)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 36)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 36)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

and also my hardware profile link:

Maybe somebody can help with this. Many thanks in advance!

1 Like
  1. For the FingerPrint Reader as you can see a message below that device , you need additional driver to support it, specifically libfprint :
dnf provides libfprint
sudo dnf install fprintd-pam fprintd libfprint

You can use command line:

fprintd- # and press TAB

the list are the follow:

• fprintd-delete
  • fprintd-enroll give you (I read somewhere that libfrprint doesnā€™t support ELAN device) and here is your devicesā€¦ and how to compileā€¦
    • list_devices failed: No devices available, you will need to compile by yourself
  • fprintd-list
  • fprintd-verify

Log in with a fingerprint or in your gnome ā†’ session configuration ā†’ devicesā€¦

1. For the camera, I donā€™t see any in your PCI configuration:

Could you please provide:

lsusb -t

I would like to know what program do you use to test your camera? you can try to install cheese

Regards.,

Hi,
thanks for ā€˜rapidā€™ response!

1. Here is the lsusb
    lsusb -t
    /: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/6p, 5000M
    /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/7p, 480M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 2, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=, 12M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
    |__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Wireless, Driver=btusb, 12M
    |__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Wireless, Driver=btusb, 12M
    |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=, 12M

You can also look at my hardware profile which lists a device similar to a camera.
2. I have tested with cheese and there is no device found on that.
3. Compiling the ELAN driver is almost impossible because it always returns an error saying that glib-2.0:
ā€œmeson.build:42:0: ERROR: Dependency ā€œglib-2.0ā€ not found, tried pkgconfig and cmakeā€
in spite that it is installed but probably not in the right folder the meson searches for it! I am almost giving up on that one!

Thanks again!

About the fingerprint, this is the comparative Table between Distros:

| DEBIAN          | FEDORA        |
| -----------     |:-------------:|
| libglib2.0-dev  | glib2-devel   |
| libnss3-dev     | nss-devel     |
| libpixman-1-dev | pixman-devel  |
| libusb-1.0.0-dev| libusb-devel  |
| libx11-dev      | libX11-devel  |
| libxv-dev       | libXv-devel   |
| pkg-config      | pkg-config    |
| -----------     |:-------------:|

Hi hhlp,
thanks for that info.
I have done everything as per the compiling instructions but still get the error about glib2.
I have installed glib2-devel and the same error again ocurred. So,I have given up the compiling excersise! Iā€™ll wait until fedora puts it into the kernel.
The camera is a mystery since it has never worked according to linux-hardware.org
Thanks again for your help!

Anything else???
Am I alone on the fedora planet???:wink::crazy_face:

I have a similar situation with a Lenovo Miix 300-10IBY,
but I can not see any camera listed in any probes on linux-hardware (both my and your machine).
I wonder if the cameras can be seen at all without some drivers, or if they are locked in the windows world for some reason. Would love to know moreā€¦
Cheers
Dario