Authenticator (flatpak) stopped working after upgrading to Fedora 32

Hi, I noticed today that Authenticator stopped working after upgrading my system to Fedora 32. The output of flatpak run com.github.bilelmoussaoui.Authenticator is following:
Gtk-Message: 15:49:05.883: Failed to load module “pk-gtk-module”
[ERROR] 2020-04-29 15:49:06 Could not read the secret code,the keyring keys were reset manually
[ERROR] 2020-04-29 15:49:06 Could not read the secret code,the keyring keys were reset manually
[ERROR] 2020-04-29 15:49:06 Could not read the secret code,the keyring keys were reset manually
[ERROR] 2020-04-29 15:49:06 Could not read the secret code,the keyring keys were reset manually

I have contacted the author of that program and he said it’s probably gnome-keyring causing issues.

What happens if you reinstall? Haven’t used Authenticator before but hopefully you won’t lose any settings if you uninstall, will you?

I reinstalled Fedora 31 today, recovered my data from a backup I did before the upgrade and noticed Authenticator does work again. I don’t know what exactly causes the problem but there is an incompatibility to gnome 3.36 and/or flatpak in Fedora 32.

The difference is that xdg-desktop-portal now contains a secrets portal. Secrets are now stuffed into a “nested keyring” where all the app’s secrets are stored as a single secret. There is no migration process, so it’s expected that you have a one-time loss of all your stored passwords. But of course it’s not expected that the app would no longer work at all. Judging from the error message, I’d say the app is probably intentionally quitting when the keyring doesn’t contain the secrets it expects, so it has no chance to survive upgrade to F32. I’d report a bug against Authenticator to ask to handle this more elegantly.

As for a workaround, you could experiment with clearing ~/.var/app/com.github…bilelmoussaoui.Authenticator and see if that’s enough to reset the app to a fresh state.

BTW thanks for pointing me to this app. I think this can replace a bash script I use for 2FA…

Bug report already exists: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Authenticator/-/issues/173