Hi all, after about 12 years of upgrading my server continually with no issues, I have recently been struggling with my /boot and / partitions getting 100% full. I guess they have served me well over the years but I need to resize them somehow.
I have two disks, but they are partitioned using “regular” RAID 1 with no underlying volume manager (so no LVM). Although I started with 3 partitions, to free space I created another so basically I have:
So these are all RAID 1 partitions, but I need to increase md0 and md2.
I searched for walkthroughs but really struggled to find anything that explained how to do this and I obviously don’t want to risk actually trashing my system inadvertently.
Can anyone point me towards a good method to do this, ideally without needing to do a full re-install then a recovery.
I was contemplating something like:
- failing one disk out of the array
- creating completely new re-sized partitions on this disk
- boot into a live image from USB
- using mdadm to mirror from old to new (so all the filesystems will clearly be smaller than the partitions)
- use resize2fs to increase /boot and /
Am I missing a trick or are there any other recommendations?