after installing Fedora 32 on my laptop (default ISO; gnome + gdm) I added the rpm fusion repository and installed the nvidia graphics driver:
- dnf install akmod-nvidia
Afterwards i copied the nvidia.conf file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and added Option “PrimaryGPU” “yes” to every section As described here:
nvidia.conf looks like this:
Option “SLI” “Auto”
Option “BaseMosaic” “on”
After a reboot everything is working fine and with gnome and gdm I actually never had problems. The output of nvidia-smi and lsof /dev/nvidia* shows that my graphics card is in use.
- nouveau is blacklisted and nvidia module is loaded
- but this is the default configuration after installing the nvidia graphics driver
- secure boot is off
But when I want to use another desktop environment, login manager or no login manager at all I get a black screen.
- use another desktop environment / window manager with gdm --> black screen
- use another login manager (sddm, slim, lightdm) --> black screen before login manager is even visible
- using no login manager and start for instance openbox / i3 via startx --> black screen
On my PC I don’t have this problem. So switching the login manager or desktop environment / window manager is working fine (no xorg.conf or nvidia.conf is in use).
Laptop (Lenove Legion Y520):
- 8GB RAM
- integrated intel gpu
- nvidia 1050ti
- 16GB RAM
- nvidia 2070
Let me know if you need more information.