Black screen after upgrade to Fedora 33

I’ve been running Fedora on my laptop for a few years now. I’ve been doing successful in-place upgrades. My last upgrade from Fedora 32 to 33 completed successfully. When I try to boot into 33 I get a black screen. I’m able to put the computer into Stand-by but nothing else. I need to power-cycle it to continue. If I go back to the 32 kernel it works fine.

I tried a few versions of 33 kernels as they have been updated but to no avail.

I reported the bug here but there has been no response 1972985 – Blank screen after "Protected by HP Sure Start"

Ultimately, I’d like to upgrade to Fedora 34 but I’m afraid not to lose the working Fedora 32 kernel. Is there a way to make sure the working Fedora 32 kernel is not remove when I upgrade from Fedora 33 to Fedora 34?

Here are my current boot options

Please see

1 Like

Thanks! Would there be any issues if I use the Fedora 32 kernel on a Fedora 34 installation?

Yes? No? Maybe?

Remaining on the 5.11 kernel will be way out of date with the libraries installed with updates to fedora 34 and may or may not cause issues. Continuing to run the 5.11 kernel while updating everything else may be a gamble, but also just might work.

One thing you might do to force the system to not remove the 5.11 kernel is to always be booted to that kernel when updates are done since it never removes the running kernel. You also could do a kernel version lock (I am nor sure of the procedure). A third way would be to tell dnf to exclude the kernel* packages in any updates. Excluding the kernel updates should also keep the required matching libraries though I am not certain of that.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments and pointers. It turns out that adding nomodeset to kernel parameters in GRUB. Fedora 33 boots as expected with the 5.13.9 kernel.

The only drawback is that it seems to load a bit slower and screen backlit dimming is no loner working (hot keys not working).

1 Like