Boot animation not being shown

Hi.

I don’t remember whether I’ve done something wrong (e.g. disabled a service from boot) or something else, however, the default boot animation is not being shown. Instead of it, I see three dots on a flat somehow-blue background blinking, i.e. a bit like dots in Ubuntu’s boot. There is no Fedora logo anymore, nor my laptop’s brand. It’s really weird.

Why it’s happening?
Is it related to Grub, boot services or installed packages?
How can I fix it?

Thanks.

1 Like

Perhaps some missing plymouth packages.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that (mine is that way). I installed Fedora using Netinstall or Server Image and opted for “Minimal Install and Standard” group packages. I do not think plymouth comes with those.

I should mention that I’ve installed Fedora Workstation edition, so, the boot animation was working before, but I don’t know why it’s not working now.

And I installed all plymouth-* packages from DNF, but nothing changed relating to boot-up animation.

Maybe you meant other packages?

The solution was found, fortunately, thanks to this reddit post and this article. It was related to plymouth theming, and the chosen theme was the wrong one (text theme).

Simply, open a Terminal, and do the followings:

# Update Plymouth theme
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme bgrt

# Regenerate needed files (e.g. initramfs)
sudo dracut -f

Then reboot. Hooray! The default theme got back!

Note that, although the default theme is bgrt, you can install other themes as well, by installing one of the plymouth-theme-* packages through DNF, and repeat the steps above.

Hope it helps someone.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.