Can I install fedora from already installed fedora?

Can I install fedora from already installed fedora? For example I want to install fedora to another drive from my fedora, can I? If yes, how?

2 Likes

You have to boot from a Live ISO via USB (or…)

You can then install the same packages you have on your ‘old’ install and then copy the dot-files from your $HOME folder on to the new system.

I am not aware that it would be viable the way you ask, without cloning a complete drive to an external drive… beware of trying that with an internal drive, though (potential hazards involved).

Welcome to :fedora:
Ans is No you can’t and it is extremely hard to have 2 fedora os in a same system as it share single grub and fedora grub never show two version of fedora at all. Now you can clone installation to another partition or drive. But why you want to do that. If you want to do something else then maybe forum can give a easy fix.

I meant is there a way to install fully new fedora from my one, for example if I want to install new fedora from my fedora to another hard drive that will be used on another device later.

What is my one.

Are you talking about your custom img.

So If I got it right you want to basically install fedora
on another hard drive using the same computer where fedora is already installed. I think if all you want to do is to use fedora on another computer then just put the hdd in it and directly install it using bootable usb. Can I ask why you want to do it
this way. I mean its kind of unnecessary. If you want to have a backup incase something happens to the main install then you can just backup your data on hdd and use the usb to reinstall fedora or you could use btrfs snapshots.

Is there a way to basically install fedora without bootable usb, just from already installed fedora?

As far as I know currently LFS(linux from scratch) use that method for installation and its takes a lot time & it’s not easy. Is there any particular reason you want to do it like that. And I don’t think the fedora installer atleast the GUI have something like that.

I think the only way to do something close to your idea is to tell grub to boot from a fedora iso you have on your disk, I never tried it but it may be possible.

Even if it was possible, I think it will be way too complicated so maybe just use a USB drive.

The quick answer is “No, this isn’t something we support”.

The long answer is “anything is possible!”, and in fact you can do it with the livemedia-creator tool. That is mostly used to create bootable media images, but can also write to a hard drive in theory. I haven’t actually done that any time recently, but if you need to do this, that’s the route I’d steer you towards.

1 Like

I think it can be done with gnome disk and write it to a specific drive. The option is there but i never done that so can’t confirm. Called restore disk image option i have tried that for making live usb a couple of times.if some one done thst they can confirm.

I’ve done this several times with the goal of making the new drive an independently bootable OS drive to put into another computer, and even sometimes when I want to swap out the drive in the computer that I’m doing this on with minimum downtime.

Attach the other drive to a new virtual machine, and do the install in the new virtual machine. After installation, with the new virtual machine off or even removed, you can mount partitions from the new installation in order to copy any files you want to copy.

2 Likes

This is my answer based on my own interpretation of what you are asking…
There are two other options, if you want to take an existing Fedora to put it on another drive for another machine.

1. Complex option is to boot into a Live USB and use the dd command (sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc status=progress) to copy the current install onto another drive. You have to make note and pay close attention to what your source drive is (potentially, sda) and destination drive (sdX). You can use the lsblk command to give you a good idea of what that is.
    Here is a good article on how to do that:
    Use dd to Clone a Disk
  2. Use Clonezilla to take an image of your current Fedora drive to restore to the other drive. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to use Clonezilla for your reference.

I hope this more accurately answers your question.