Cannot access to phone via usb

Hi,
I have the following device:

Bus 001 Device 021: ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Galaxy A5 (MTP)

Since its display is broken, I’m trying to reach data using usb, but I cannot, when I plug on Fedora 35 I get the following messages in journal:

feb 03 16:38:12 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 21
feb 03 16:38:16 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 22 using xhci_hcd
feb 03 16:38:16 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6860, bcdDevice= 2.23
feb 03 16:38:16 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
feb 03 16:38:16 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
feb 03 16:38:16 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
feb 03 16:38:16 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: SerialNumber: R9MN1370Y3J
feb 03 16:38:21 munster.belkin.home kiod5[973701]: PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
feb 03 16:38:21 munster.belkin.home kiod5[973701]: LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
feb 03 16:38:22 munster.belkin.home kernel: usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 22 using xhci_hcd

Also I’ve tried with the command, jmtpfs and it outputs:

Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung Galaxy models (MTP).
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device

So, is this a bug, am I doing something wrong, or is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance

wasn’t it the default that one need to pull the pulldown menue and allow usb connection to do data transfers (when it’s not set via developer option as the new default).

the init default is: charging only and not data transfer, at least with my samsung’s…

Yup, I’m afraid that it was.
Sadly the display is extremely broken, so I cannot interact with the phone by touch :frowning_face:

you could try to boot the phone into recovery with a key combination (don’t know what it is).

I’m unsure, but it could be that that switches the usb into transfer mode…

if not or in any case:
search for “Samsung Galaxy A5” or the like on:

ask there how to handle your problem

Do you by chance have an SD card in that phone with data on it? If you do then you can at least access that part of the data by taking the card to your PC.

Even after allowing the connection from the phone I cannot access the data on my samsung phone with the file manager gui, although it will allow me to access it by opening a text window and using the command line to read the data.

In the past it allowed file manager access but that changed a few years back.

Hi I found this YouTube video that I think the best tutorial with some scenarios when Samsung Phone screen broken and we want to backup it. How to recover data from a Samsung phone with a broken screen, audio: English - YouTube

It will helpful if you have OTG mini usb to full usb to connect it with your keyboard or mouse.

1 Like