Cannot boot without power plugged to notebook

I have issues booting into Fedora. I already reinstalled Fedora 33 without effect. Before that I was luckily running Fedora and updated releases over month or even years.

It tried to identify the issue in /var/log/boot.log and …/messages and the journal but did not succeed. It seems that the boot log is not even created.

Procedure as follows:

Grub boot menu is shown, and after the defined time, kernel is being loaded or at least it seems to be the case. The screen is blanked and the cursor is being displayed (but it is not blinking). The mute key (F1) has an indicator LED, this can still be toggled. Ctrl-Alt-Del is not working. The same Kernel version can be booted with power supply connected (most of the times)

Lenovo Thinkpad X260 with i7.

Do you have any ideas where to collect information in order to identify the issue? Might that be an HW issue?

I will try to boot without the “rhgb quiet” kernel boot parameters and see if there are more messages.

Also try booting with the LiveUSB and check the journals.

did you try to read out kernel messages using dmesg - maybe you can find some hardware-related issues. You can find documentation and examples here and here.

Is the battery of the machine still fine? I mean, once booted, can you remove the power supply and keep working?

1 Like

Thank you for your hints and help.

@sampsonf the option “rhgb quiet” did not have influence. Fedora Live did start without the need to plug in the power supply.

@augenauf I did not find any hint to an issue in dmesg. For the unsuccessful boot attempt no log seems to be available…

The battery is still fine. The notebook works several hours with battery and even with higher system load.

Does booting an older kernel have any impact?
For example, you could install the one the live media is shipped with.

Koji.fedoraproject.org

1 Like

I will try. Currently I’m a bit hesitating, as I fear that this procedure will have some influence on the system behaviour and configuration itself… What I already did is prolonging the list of kernels to keep installed before removing from HDD but non in the list is able to start.

Yet another installed kernel should not have any persisting influence on your configuration. Either it solves the problem, then you can keep it (or bisect which change introduced the regression) or delete it again. As long as you have enough free space on /boot, there is nothing that speaks against installing an additional, older kernel.

1 Like