Cannot install spotify-client via lpf

Spotify Client cannot be installed via lpf today.

The problem is that the .spec file contains wrong information. The problem I encountered is similar to topic 12144 but different.

Based on the answers in the previous topic, I located and updated the .spec manually (/usr/share/lpf/packages/spotify-client/spotify-client.spec):

• replace %global repo https://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client
  • replace Version: 1.1.72.439
  • replace Source1: %{repo}/spotify-client_%{version}.gc253025e_amd64.deb

After this change, the package installs correctly.

PS: I’m not 100% sure but these exact changes may only be valid on AMD. Check the repository URL manually for the correct version information, if you need a different one.

2 Likes

@arjenpdevries Welcome to Ask Fedora, please take a look at New users! Start here! - Ask Fedora when you have a moment.

Can you check which version of the package is being used sudo dnf info lpf-spotify-client

It looks like this may have been updated already?

For rpmfusion packages you can also file bugs at, https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi @grumpey, I noticed that too (but thank you for the rpmfusion bugzilla link; I looked for an issue tracker on the github repo for the lpf package and did not find it, but forgot about bugzilla).

[arjen@apc]$ sudo dnf info lpf-spotify-client 
Installed Packages
Name         : lpf-spotify-client
Version      : 1.1.68.632
Release      : 1.fc35
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 11 M
Source       : lpf-spotify-client-1.1.68.632-1.fc35.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : rpmfusion-nonfree
Summary      : Spotify music player native client package bootstrap
URL          : https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make
License      : MIT
Description  : Bootstrap package allowing the lpf system to build the non-redistributable
             : spotify-client package.
             : 
             : The package is only available on ix86 and x86_64 hosts.
             : 
             : See:  http://www.spotify.com/se/blog/archives/2010/07/12/linux/

I do not understand the full packaging process well enough, but I seem to get an older version, while I have upgraded the whole system to FC35. The package does not want to update to a newer version:

[arjen@apc]$ sudo dnf update
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:20 ago on Wed 29 Dec 2021 05:21:33 PM CET.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Try with --refresh

Do you have the non-free repos enabled?

Unfortunately that did not help (--refresh).

And, yes, the non-free repos are enabled.

It’s clear I’m getting the wrong version:

$ sudo dnf search -v lpf-spotify-client
Loaded plugins: builddep, changelog, config-manager, copr, debug, debuginfo-install, download, generate_completion_cache, groups-manager, needs-restarting, playground, repoclosure, repodiff, repograph, repomanage, reposync, system-upgrade
DNF version: 4.9.0
cachedir: /var/cache/dnf
Last metadata expiration check: 0:05:30 ago on Thu Dec 30 20:45:20 2021.
=========================================================== Name Exactly Matched: lpf-spotify-client ============================================================
lpf-spotify-client.x86_64 : Spotify music player native client package bootstrap
Repo        : @System
Matched from:
Provide    : lpf-spotify-client = 1.1.68.632-1.fc35

Somehow the metadata does not get invalidated, or the version we see in github is not actually on the repositories that dnf contacts?

Thanks for all the help btw!

Loaded plugins: builddep, changelog, config-manager, copr, debug, debuginfo-install, download, generate_completion_cache, groups-manager, needs-restarting, playground, repoclosure, repodiff, repograph, repomanage, reposync
DNF version: 4.9.0
cachedir: /var/cache/dnf
Last metadata expiration check: 1:32:23 ago on Thu 30 Dec 2021 03:23:50 PM EST.
====================================== Name Exactly Matched: lpf-spotify-client =======================================
lpf-spotify-client.x86_64 : Spotify music player native client package bootstrap
Repo        : rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
Matched from:
Provide    : lpf-spotify-client = 1.1.72.439-1.fc35 

Do you need to remove the local install to get it to update?

Not completely sure.

I removed the package altogether, re-installed with --refresh, and I still get the older version!

At home though, I get the newer version. I maintain both systems and am not aware of anything I did differently, but obviously, we must be getting different versions for the repositories; just not sure why.

Thanks for the pointers, I became a better dnf user thanks to your help!

Not sure if this will solve the problem. After installing sudo dnf install lpf-spotify-client from RPMFussion, I add my user to pkg-build group sudo usermod -a -G pkg-build username then reboot the system since with just logout and login the added group not take effect.

After reboot, I run lpf update (without sudo) and it will download, build, then install (install will show popup window asking for password). Now I have 2 Spotify on my laptop :sweat_smile: (the other one from flatpak).

Click to see the spec after `lpf update`
Name:           spotify-client
Version:        1.1.72.439
Release:        1%{?dist}
Summary:        Spotify music player native client

# board=http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux
# $board/What-license-does-the-linux-spotify-client-use/td-p/173356
License:        No modification permitted, non-redistributable
URL:            https://www.spotify.com/se/download/linux/
Group:          Applications/Multimedia
ExclusiveArch:  %{ix86} x86_64

Source0:        spotify-make-%{shortcommit}.tar.gz