Cannot understand from output of lsblk

I cannot understand from the output of lsblk what partition is mounted in /:

[myname@fedora etc]$ lsblk -o PATH,SIZE,RO,TYPE,MOUNTPOINT
PATH                                                    SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
/dev/loop0                                            373.8M  1 loop  
/dev/loop1                                             99.3M  1 loop  /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/11606
/dev/loop2                                            310.8M  1 loop  
/dev/sda                                              931.5G  0 disk  
/dev/zram0                                                8G  0 disk  [SWAP]
/dev/mapper/luks-dba5fc3b-9102-4b75-aa29-f4c1097fcb62 475.3G  0 crypt /home
/dev/mapper/luks-ded45054-bdce-450c-91d7-d6f1de296bec 931.5G  0 crypt /run/media/myname/55ab61c4-83cf-4d9f-a5cd-7fcfdc14b4fb
/dev/nvme0n1                                          476.9G  0 disk  
/dev/nvme0n1p1                                          600M  0 part  /boot/efi
/dev/nvme0n1p2                                            1G  0 part  /boot
/dev/nvme0n1p3                                        475.4G  0 part  

lsblk shows block devices. It can get confusing when you have something like btrfs where a single block device is mounted in multiple places. lsblk -f will show you all the mountpoints of a partition.

Alternatively, findmnt is likely a better tool for this application. For example, findmnt --real will show all your mountpoints or findmnt / will show you how / is mounted.

5 Likes

I will suggest that entries:

/dev/loop0
/dev/loop1
etc.

They mean you use Ubuntu Snap. Over time, these entries can arrive;)

A minor addition to what others have said:
For btrfs filesystems, the “MOUNTPOINT” column only shows the most recently mounted subvolume. Newer versions of lsblk have added a “MOUNTPOINTS” column that lists all the mounted subvolumes for each device.

Fedora’s util-linux package is currently version 2.36.2, whereas the latest upstream version is 2.37.2. Until Fedora updates util-linux, I agree with @dalto: findmnt is the best tool to see exactly what is mounted where.

4 Likes

@gregoryhinton thank you very much