Clicking 'Login' on OpenConnect VPN also clicks 'Cancel'

When you connect to a VPN using the OpenConnect VPN in KDE, I get this dialog

efebb6ff40bb98676adae46e4eacf2d04b8e9cd9.png

However, When you click ‘Login’, it brings up this dialog in exactly the same position, in which case you end up clicking ‘Cancel’ by accident.

001b62214fb4a7419a09c2a46d947ab0646ddb11.png

I could do this from the command line, but I prefer to use the gui option. Is there any way to get it connect through without popping up this dialog? In Gnome3 you could connect directly from the taskbar without any dialogs. It would be better if it only popped up the dialog if there was an error.

I think this might be the source code, I might look at trying to change it:

Seems to me like this is the real problem:

7bd51d8c27fd2a12d485314209436aa09037189d.png

I would hope that, if the error were eliminated, it would “Store passwords” and “Automatically start connecting next time”, just like the checkboxes say.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @ferdnyc

You can disregard the ‘Error fetching HTTPS response’. That was just in the screen shot. It doesn’t usually come up.

In my experience checking the ‘Store passwords’ and ‘Automatically start connecting next time’ doesn’t do anything. It always pops up the dialog even if the previous attempt was successful.

Hm. Well, that’s frustrating. …You’re running this in a full-fledged KDE session, or under Gnome Shell?

Even if it’s “real” KDE, it’s possible some sort of keyring / credentials store isn’t available, unlocked, or even created, that it would be looking to store the username/password into. (Unfortunately, I know nothing about KDE so that’s just a wild guess, and the extent of my guessing power.)

@ferdnyc: it’s a fully fledged KDE… keyring / credentials is a good place to look. I will investigate.

@ferdnyc: The only way I could see around this was to edit:

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/vpn-name

I then I populated the username/password directly in the vpn-name file, which then pre-populated it in frmLogin (see screenshot). However, on a restart the change was gone.

I couldn’t find any keyring/credentials in use on the machine.

Manual modification of connection configuration requires explicit reload:

sudo nmcli connection reload

You can also create and modify network connections with nmcli.