Could not get fcitx to work, so I resorted to the default ibus Chinese input method

Tried to install the full suite of fcitx stuff to get Chinese pinyin, but figured out I could not switch over due to this error in imsettings-switch:

$ imsettings-switch
Current desktop isn't supported by IMSettings. Please follow instructions on your desktop to enable Input Method.

I am running Fedora 36 Silverblue, Gnome shell 42.4, and Wayland.

Output of imsettings-list shows this:

- 1: IBus[ibus.conf] (recommended)
  2: FCITX[fcitx.conf] 
  3: X compose table[xcompose.conf] 
  4: fcitx5[fcitx5.conf]

Then I suppose Gnome ships with ibus by default, and within the Keyboard settings section, just add intelligent pinyin and you will get Chinese input.

Does someone know why I can’t get fcitx to work?

I have it working in Japanese (haven’t tried Chinese) in Fedora 37–got it working in F36 and upgraded. I had to use fcitx5. I cover the steps I took at Inputting Japanese in Linux and some BSDs.

With Gnome, I had to make few setting changes which I got from the Archwiki. It’s mentioned on the page, but to disable ibus integration, I had to run

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides "{'Gtk/IMModule':<'fcitx'>}"
1 Like

Thank you very much! The gsettings command was the exact one I needed. Though I am not going to use fcitx anymore (ibus works good enough), I imagine it will allow me to use imsettings again.

Lately, I’ve come to the conclusion that in Gnome, and probably most desktop evironments, as opposed to window managers like openbox or dwm, it’s easiest to use ibus. I stopped using it, because, in openbox on FreeBSD, I wound up having to write a script to make it change between Japanese and English, but in Gnome, at least and on the default RedHat workstation install, it works without problems for me.

So, I’d agree with you, it’s probably most efficient, especially on the workstation installs, to use the default ibus.
I’m glad I was able to point you towards the solution, even if you wound up not needing it. Who knows, it might help someone in the future.