Discover "Offline Updates" "could not resolve host name for mirrors fedoraproject

I’m using the KDE/Plasma spin of Fedora 34.

From time-to-time when I update the system via the Discover app, the offline updates fail. Following an offline updates failure, when I log back in I see a pop-up notification above the system tray whose title bar reads “Discover” and the error message reads:

Offline Updates
Failed to update 1 package
cannot update repo ‘fedora’: Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (6): Couldn’t resolve host name for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-34&arch=x86_64 [Could not resolve host: mirrors(dot)fedoraproject(dot)org]; Last error: Curl error (6): Couldn’t resolve host name for (NOTE1) [Could not resolve host: mirrors(dot)fedoraproject(dot)org]

(NOTE1: Replace NOTE1 with the previously shown URL. Forum silliness: “Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.”)

9693539dde3882ccb185a47c39a2415f4c4bf3ef.png

At the bottom of the “Discover: Offline Updates” error dialog there is a button labeled “Repair System.” Clicking on this button does nothing to resolve the problem. When I reboot the system and log in again, the same pop-up notification appears above the system tray.

For what it’s worth, I can successfully use dnf to download and install updates, so apparently dnf has no problem resolving the host name mirrors(dot)fedoraproject(dot)org. (Forum silliness: “Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.”)

So how do I get rid of this bleeping Discover “Offline Updates” error notification?

1 Like

Local resolvers are often unreliable.
Replace local resolvers with public ones.
Enable DoT if the issue persists.

(I’m assuming that ‘DoT’ is “DNS-over-TLS”.)

1 Like