DisplayLink issues

Hi there. New Fedora user.

It’s been a whole week trying to make my setup with an asus usb portable monitor (M169B+).
I’ve tested to make it work first on Mint then on Ubuntu without success - Mint was displaying but was making cursor visual artifacts. Both needed DisplayLink to be installed only was I able to install it on Mint due to dependencies issues with Ubuntu.

So now I’m trying with Fedora 32, interface is nice, I have less compatibility troubles than Mint, and more comfort than with Ubuntu, but I still struggle with DisplayLink installation :
I’m trying to install :

sudo ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run

but it answers :

Verifying archive integrity… 100% All good.
Uncompressing DisplayLink Linux Driver 5.3.1.34 100%
DisplayLink Linux Software 5.3.1.34 install script called:
WARNING: This is not an officially supported distribution.
Please use DisplayLink Forum for getting help if you find issues.
Unsatisfied dependencies. Missing component: libdrm.
This is a fatal error, cannot install DisplayLink Linux Software.

But checking libdrm gives me this :

$ sudo dnf install libdrm

Last metadata expiration verfication realised 0:35:02 ago on mon. 14 sept. 2020 15:41:56.
libdrm-2.4.102-1.fc32.x86_64 package is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Terminated !

It’s been 2 days now, I’ve tested quite a lot of things :

• testing other DisplayLink versions
  • installling libdrm-devel
  • installing kernel-headers for the Fedora 32 version
  • making some other installation tweak modifying the installation package itself from a Stackoverflow recommendation (worked for Mint)

I realy am clueless about how to make it work - still trying though, so maybe someone around here could find what’s going on …

You are installing the displaylink driver and that does not come from a fedora compatible repo.

I would suspect it is looking for libdrm in some location that is not fedora compatible and the fix may be as simple as creating a link in the expected location to point to the already installed library.

The message you post tells you where to get help, please contact the people on that forum as they are more likely to have a helpful suggestion for you.

BTW, on my system I find the libdrm libraries under both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64. I have both libdrm and libdrm-devel installed.

So I’ve talked a bit with DisplayLink support and succeed the installation by commenting libdrm validation within the installer.
I also needed to remake symlinks, from :

1. /lib/modules/5.8.10-200.fc32.x86_64/build/ symlink of /usr/src/kernel/5.8.10-200.fc32.x86_64/
    to
  2. /lib/modules/5.8.10-200.fc32.x86_64/build/ symlink of /usr/src/kernel/5.8.10-200.fc32.x86_64+debug/

Since the first one didn’t exist.
But now it is causing systemctl issues starting the displaylink-driver.service.
Would it break my setup to remove +debug at the end path of /usr/src/kernel/5.8.10-200.fc32.x86_64+debug ?

Edit : After some experiment, the problem doesn’t come from the folder path but from evdi using the +debug version. More investigation needed.