Does Fedora make connections to Amazon AWS, CloudFront, Highwinds, Stackpath and Google?

When I boot the system and when I leave it on without running browsers, etc. I’m noticing connections to Amazon AWS, CloudFront, Highwinds, Stackpath, Google, etc, connections to fedoraproject.org are few and far in-between, does a normal Fedora distribution rely on these services for anything? Does DNF Dragora or system update service use these?

I didn’t see any notification from DNF Dragora later that there were updates to be installed.

My browser is set to clear everything on exit and I wasn’t running any browser. I didn’t know if there were any background processes. I installed Fedora KDE, it developed problems, so I switched the DE to Cinnamon, there is Chrony installed, but no geoclue.

I never use GNOME and I don’t have any online accounts on Fedora and there are no cloud services connected to Fedora.

1 Like

Hello @novicefedora, welcome to the forum! Please take a minute to go through the introductory post in the #start-here category if you’ve not had a chance to do so yet. It includes useful information on using the forum effectively.

No, these are probably various analytics etc. scripts running in your browser session. Some browsers now run in the background even if the window isn’t open, for notifications and that sort of thing. To start with, Try killing all your browser processes and see if these connections are still there? (A lot of users use extensions to block these “trackers”)

Thanks for information that Fedora doesn’t use these services and information about introductory post.

No, these are probably various analytics etc. scripts running in your browser session. Some browsers now run in the background even if the window isn’t open, for notifications and that sort of thing.

I use Firefox and it is set to clear everything when I close it, so before I turned on the PC, I would have closed it in my last session. And I don’t use any extensions which show notifications. Next time I’ll try your suggestion.