Dual Boot Installation - automatic partition configuration

I have a lenovo thinkpad that I just bought that has windows 10 pre-installed. I’m trying to install F34 so that the laptop is dual boot.

I used windows disk manager to shrink the main partition so that I have space on the disk to install Fedora.

516f13f7b95b8684fdb4fbd464ea593ff2d063e8.png

When I’m going through the Fedora installer, I get to the section where you select the destination for the installation, I’m reading different suggestions in various install guides. I’ve read some that say to use the Automatic Configuration, and that it will find the empty disk space and use it appropriately. I’ve seen others that suggest that the Automatic Configuration will use the entire disk and remove windows.

I’ve tried using the Blivet-GUI to specify how to use the partition, but I get errors when I try to accept the changes. So, I was hoping that the Automatic Configuration might be an option to set things up appropriately, but I’m a little gun-shy about hitting that “Begin Installation” button given the conflicting information I’ve read.

Will the ‘automatic configuration’ use the whole disk, or just the free space on the disk?

Automatic installation does what you tell it. If you tell it to use the whole disk it will. If you do not select that then it will use only the available free space. If the install is already UEFI then the fedora installer will happily use the existing efi partition and set up dual boot for you as long as you chose to boot the installer in uefi mode.

1 Like

Hi @computersavvy , thanks for the reply.

You say that automatic installation does what I tell it, but I guess that is my question… where/how do I tell it what I want it to do?

On the install screen, if I select the Storage Configuration’s “Automatic” option, there aren’t any other settings or configuration windows to look at. If I click either of the other two options (custom or Blivet-GUI) and click “Done”, I get taken to a secondary screen to review and alter the configuration. With Automatic, when I click “Done”, I just go right back to the screen with the “Begin Installation” button. So I’m not sure how to tell what I’m getting when I click that install button.

If you want more control, use custom.
If you want full control, use advanced.

1 Like

if I remember correctly, there used to be command line parameters to preset certain ways of partitioning , especially to get away from LVM.

I cannot find it any more though.

somebody gave examples for non-LVM preset maybe like this :slight_smile:

usage: anaconda config [-h] [–type TYPE] [–set name value] [–get name]
[–remove REMOVE] [–show] [-f] [–show-sources] [-u]
[-s]

Anaconda client configuration

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
–type TYPE The type of the values in the set commands

actions:
–set name value sets a new variable: name value
–get name get value: name
–remove REMOVE removes a variable
–show show all variables
-f, --files show the config file names
–show-sources Display all identified config sources

-s, --system, --site set a variable for all users on this machine

anaconda-client configuration

Get, Set, Remove or Show the anaconda-client configuration.

gpt
Install partition information into a GPT (GUID Partition Table) instead of MBR (Master Boot Record).

@cholq: Hi and happy welcome. In the case you point the installer to the free partition and choose the automatic configuration, that should just work fine. I have a couple of computers installed in Dual-Boot via this fast and easy method.

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up using the custom option, and clicking the option for it to automatically set up the default configuration. This at least allowed me to review it and verify that it wasn’t doing anything unexpected. Used the default configuration and ran the install process and I’m now up and running.