Dummy audio output after update

Issue: No audio. Audio settings show only dummy audio output.

I believe this happened after I did two updates, Firmware for my 4th gen Lenovo Yoga X1 thinkpad. And a OS software update. Can’t say which one caused it but after a few reboots and a few updates I noticed this.

Google has a lot of results regarding this issue, on multiple distros. Here’s what I’ve tried:

  1. Making sure all Integrated devices are enabled in BIOS

  2. Rebooting multiple times of course

  3. Adding my user to the audio group (usermod -a -G audio stemid) and logging out or rebooting

  4. Checking that lspci finds my Audio device

  5. Checking that the driver my Audio device uses is loaded

    $ lspci -nnk | grep -A2 Audio
    00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller [8086:9dc8] (rev 11)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:2292]
    Kernel driver in use: sof-audio-pci

    $ lsmod|grep ‘snd_sof’
    snd_sof_pci 20480 0
    snd_sof_intel_byt 20480 1 snd_sof_pci
    snd_sof_intel_ipc 20480 1 snd_sof_intel_byt
    snd_sof_xtensa_dsp 16384 1 snd_sof_pci
    snd_sof_intel_hda_common 81920 1 snd_sof_pci
    snd_soc_hdac_hda 24576 1 snd_sof_intel_hda_common
    snd_sof_intel_hda 20480 1 snd_sof_intel_hda_common
    snd_sof 126976 4 snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_sof_intel_byt,snd_sof_intel_ipc
    snd_hda_ext_core 36864 5 snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_intel_hda
    snd_soc_acpi_intel_match 32768 3 snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_skl
    snd_soc_acpi 16384 3 snd_sof_pci,snd_soc_acpi_intel_match,snd_soc_skl
    snd_soc_core 294912 6 snd_sof,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl,snd_soc_dmic
    snd_intel_dspcfg 28672 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_skl
    snd_hda_core 102400 11 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ext_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_intel_hda
    snd_pcm 126976 10 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_sof,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_skl,snd_hda_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
    ledtrig_audio 16384 4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_sof,thinkpad_acpi

Not sure why I’m not using Intel HDA driver but those modules are also loaded.

$ lsmod|grep 'snd_hda_intel'
snd_hda_intel          53248  0
snd_intel_dspcfg       28672  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_skl
snd_hda_codec         163840  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_soc_hdac_hda
snd_hda_core          102400  11 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ext_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_intel_hda
snd_pcm               126976  10 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_sof,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_skl,snd_hda_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd                   102400  13 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_compress,thinkpad_acpi,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm

>>> list-sinks
1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 0
        name: <auto_null>
        driver: <module-null-sink.c>
        flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
        state: IDLE
        suspend cause: (none)
        priority: 1000
        volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB
                balance 0,00
        base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB
        volume steps: 65537
        muted: no
        current latency: 13,87 ms
        max request: 6 KiB
        max rewind: 6 KiB
        monitor source: 0
        sample spec: s16le 2 kan. 44100 Hz
        channel map: front-left,front-right
                     Stereo
        used by: 0
        linked by: 1
        configured latency: 40,00 ms; range is 0,50 .. 2000,00 ms
        module: 14
        properties:
                device.description = "Attrapputgång"
                device.class = "abstract"
                device.icon_name = "audio-card"

“Attrapputgång” is Swedish for dummy output, tried changing it by appending LANGUAGE=C but it didn’t work.

I’m out of ideas because I rarely have such issues with Fedora.

I managed to solve this by some more googling regarding the strange sof-audio-pci driver.

sudo dmesg | grep audio showed that it was failing to load.

Some people online had the same issue with the same driver and recommended setting the kernel parameter snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0.

Do this by editing /etc/default/grub and adding it to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX string.

Then you run sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg if you’re using a modern EFI based system like me. Read more about that here https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/system-administrators-guide/kernel-module-driver-configuration/Working_with_the_GRUB_2_Boot_Loader/

Then I rebooted and audio worked.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.