DVD permissions issues - cannot use DVD

Hi,

I have an F34 system. It was upgraded all the way over the past few years I think starting with F28 or so.

I recently upgraded to Fedora 34. Now I can’t use DVDs because of a weird permission issue. I stick a DVD in the drive, it shows up in the sidebar in nautilus. I click on it and get this permissions error

Screenshot from 2021-08-26 09-45-01

It’s pretty weird. I have searched around and not found any solutions, although one F18 post I found on another website suggested my user should be in the cdrom user group. I did add my user to this group, logged out, logged back, but the error persists exactly the same way.

I will post in a reply below a screenshot of what it looks like on the command line. I was finally able to access the contents of the disk from a terminal by doing the following as root

umount /run/media/{myusername}/{DVDDRIVENAME}
mount /dev/sr0 /media/dvd  /* I created /media/dvd */
*/

Problem is this is a DVD I wanted to (legally! home movies!) rip, so I guess I’ll have to see if I can rip from VOB files or whatever, but this seems like a ridiculous workflow do this. It has been years since I’ve had to manually umount/mount anything, this normally just works. I am wondering if anybody has ideas on what this could be.

1 Like

2 Likes

rechecked here on an also undated F34 box:

ls -lR /run/media/
/run/media/:
total 0
drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 60 26. Aug 20:16 ron

/run/media/ron:
total 2
dr-xr-xr-x. 4 ron ron 136 30. Mär 2010  PT_ANESTHETIZE

please compare your and my last line:
your: d–x–x—
my : dr-xr-xr-x

mine is an commercial Music-Video-DVD (“Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize”)
I’m not in group “cdrom”
I’ve no idea why your read permission is missing.

I would recommend to recheck permissions with another/an commercial DVD too.
is only that DVD the culprit or your something else ?

Sometimes relogin is not enough as DM doesn’t kill stale processes by default.
You need to verify in the current session the change is applied correctly:

groups

Also isolate SELinux related issues:

sudo setenforce 0; getenforce

And check the default mount options:

grep -e /run/media /etc/mtab

Perhaps you need to adjust some mount option like umask=0.
This should be possible with GNOME Disks or udev rules.

Before the upgrade to F34 with discs produced by the same machine I had this same issue. It doesn’t seem to matter which disk I use, though.

as said I’ve no idea what it could be, but I would suggestion to post this issue on Fedora user list too.

but wait, …

did you

• run “sudo rpmconf -a” after update
  • relabel the filesystem via " sudo touch /.autorelabel" and a reboot
  • check with setroubleshoot