Recently I installed Fedora 35 (KDE Plasma Spin) again on my machine, because I had to do significant changes to the partition layout. To my surprise, I now have an issue with all libreoffice files residing in a path with a non ASCII character:
It only affects libreoffice as far as I can tell. Any ideas?
This is my locale output:
That is not a valid character in the english language character set and is seen as such.
There are many libreoffice-langpack-?? packages and maybe if you installed the appropriate one for the language that comes from it would fix the issue. My system by default has only the libreoffice-langpack-en installed but according to dnf there are 70 additional langpacks available.
well, it is definitly a valid UTF-8 character, and it was definitly working before. I installed some languagepacks, but that did not change anything.
Notable difference to my previous setup: this time I am on luks-lvm-btrfs, while before it was luks-lvm-ext4, can this be related?
According to wikipedia that is a german language character.
of course it is, like me
but this happens also with any other non ASCII characters. I handle lots of spanish docs as well, so those
á aren’t behaving nice either.
However, while thinking about this problem, I started to doubt that this is a libreoffice problem, since the popup looks like it comes from dolphin. And I think I am right:
So I think it’s a dolphin problem and no libreoffice problem. However, it only affects libreoffice. having for example an image with such a character is fine (for gwenview, gimp, etc).
Problem solved. I think the important bit was:
I don’t know whether
en_DE.UTF-8 is a valid value here, but I doubt it. I’ve seen similar issues on Windows, when running an US-english system with german date and number formats. However, now it says:
and the problem went away