Error message in startup-boot screen of Fedora 30 on new installation

Recently I installed fedora 30 beta in my Acer Aspire 3 Intel i3 7th gen laptop.

I get the following error while switching on my laptop. This error message shows up for 1-2 second and then the boot screen appears and log in normally. May I know how to remove this error or is this serious issue. :confused:
IMG_20190429_114546

This occurs in 30 release, I had it too, lucky this is nothing to worry about, and is a know BUG’s and it fixed now, but you have option:

1. Keep your system up-to date with sudo dnf update
  2. You can update your kernel from getting the lastest update-testing repo sudo dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel kernel-{core,devel,modules\*,headers} → you can adap it as your needs

References:

Red Hat Bugzilla
Fedora Discusion

Regards.,

2 Likes

Thank you @hhlp for your reply.
I tried sudo dnf update, but still get the same bug while switching on my laptop.
Tried the second command too. I get the following message in the terminal

Package kernel-devel available, but not installed.
No match for argument: kernel-devel

Should I need to install kernal-devel. How to do it? Will this solve the bug?

if you don’t have installed kernel-devel delete it from the list… if occurs with any other do the same…

1 Like

You can add --setopt=strict=0 to the command. That tells DNF to ignore packages in the list that it cannot find. So:

sudo dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel kernel-{core,devel,modules\*,headers} --setopt=strict=0
[sudo] password for asinha:
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                              33 kB/s |  23 kB     00:00
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                             1.4 MB/s | 5.2 MB     00:03
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                   34 kB/s |  23 kB     00:00
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                  179 kB/s | 174 kB     00:00
Fedora 30 - x86_64                                                                                                                                             82 kB/s |  19 kB     00:00
google-chrome                                                                                                                                                  35 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Free - Updates                                                                                                                      38 kB/s | 9.4 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Free                                                                                                                                45 kB/s |  10 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Nonfree - Updates                                                                                                                   47 kB/s | 9.6 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Nonfree                                                                                                                             28 kB/s |  10 kB     00:00
Package kernel-devel available, but not installed.
No match for argument: kernel-devel
Dependencies resolved.
==============================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                             Architecture                          Version                                       Repository                                      Size
==============================================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 kernel                                              x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                 25 k
 kernel-core                                         x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                 25 M
 kernel-modules                                      x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                 28 M
 kernel-modules-extra                                x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                2.1 M
Removing:
 kernel                                              x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                        0
 kernel-core                                         x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                       61 M
 kernel-modules                                      x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                       28 M
 kernel-modules-extra                                x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                      2.1 M

Transaction Summary
Install  4 Packages
Remove   4 Packages

Total download size: 56 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y

More information in man dnf, of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is definitely grub…

Since the Bugzilla reports said that this only happened on a clean install, I’d blame anaconda. Perhaps grub is right, and anaconda formatted the ESP as either the wrong FAT or corrupted FAT

Exactly, I am too thinking the same. its grub issue.

1 Like

But I might be wrong about anaconda. It could be the new blscfg.

I was looking through my grub.cfg on fedora 30 and found “insmod fat.” I’ll have to double check in what context it said that, but presumably, grub, booted from a fat partition (ESP), does not need to open the fat partition. That was already done.

(Just to be clear, I’m not having this issue. (I upgraded, so that could be it?) I’m not blaming that line, I’m only saying that the new blscfg change likely has something to do with it, and that I take back my attribution of blame on anaconda (even though, ultimately, it still comes back to grub regardless).)

1 Like

I think here is one more grub issue to take note of Fedora 30 Dual Boot Windows 10

Apologies, I noticed this too now.