Error messages when creating account for this site

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the best place for this; I am very new to the site. I had a few error messages come up while I was making an account for this site.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Click “Sign Up”
  2. Click “Sign up now” (bottom right)
  3. (Redirected to https://accounts.fedoraproject.org)
  4. Click Register
  5. Enter info
  6. Click Register
  7. Open email, confirm account
  8. Greeted with an error message that says (using code, because of HTML tags)

Your account has been created but an error occurred while setting yoru password(<html> <head> <title>200 Success</title> </head> <body> <h1>Password change rejected</h1> <p> <strong> The old password or username is not correct.</strong> </p> </body> </html>). You may need to change it after logging in.

1. Enter login info
  2. Greeted with an error message that says

Password expired. Please reset it.

I am tech-literate enough to understand what is going on, but it’s not good for account creation flow for people who might be very unfamiliar with “computer stuff”.

Cheers.

Second screenshot:

Couldn’t include it in the first post, since my account is brand new.

Off hand I don’t know the requirements for password structure, but they do exist and should show on the page where you entered the password initially. Upper case, lower case, numbers, special characters, length (number of characters total), etc.

You should be able to reset it since you are obviously logged in for that page to show.

Maybe one of the moderators could answer the details as to why that happened for you.

Were you able to reset your password?

I’m not aware of any restrictions on the password in the account system yet, but as noted, if there were, it should have let you know.

What browser etc. are you using? Are you using any extensions/add-ons that block ads and javascript and stuff? Sometimes extensions can be quite aggressive with their blocks, and end up breaking websites, so if you are using these, probably best to try in a new browser profile/private window without any extensions to see what you get.

By the way, the account system website is called “Noggin”, and you can see it’s development and issues here:

Moderators of Ask Fedora will not have access to the account system databases. We’ll need to file a ticket with Fedora infrastructure for that:

https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issues

So you can file a ticket with them there if you continue to see issues. (To make it easier for them to go through the error logs, please note your Fedora username and what time this happened in your local time zone.)

Try to delete the cookies in your browser.
You can do this just for accounts.fedoraproject.org