F32 - WINE won't start

Hello from Sweden, thx for the add; I’m runing F32 KDE spin on a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen2, having severe issues with WINE. It won’t fire up after installing, this happens when issuing ‘winecfg’ from the cmd prompt:

[cm@rebecca ~]$ winecfg

000b:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Wine Staging 5.7 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"PlugPlay" failed to start: 1053
000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"winebus" failed to start: 1053
0011:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0011:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
0011:err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 0
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"wineusb" failed to start: 1053
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 1053
001e:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
001e:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.

for the record, F32 KDE is a scratch install. For troubleshooting, I installed F32 Jam in a KVM VM, and WINE runs perfectly OK here, Any theories on this…?

(I might add that the WINE issues began late in the F31 cycle, around the time of the kernel 5.6 release. Prior to that, no problems with WINE. That’s why I did a scratch install of F32 instead of upgrading.)

What repository did you install WINE from? What were the exact steps you took to install it?

Can you give some information about your system?

1. $ fpaste --sysinfo
  2. $ rpm -qa | fpaste

Hello,
I have tried several ways, all to no avail:

• v5.7 Staging and 5.0 Stable from Fedora repo, both from dnfdragora and the command prompt
  • v5.7/5.8 Staging from WineHQ repo from the command prompt
    command issued: sudo dnf install wine

In F32 Jam I ran the above command against the fedora repo, and all is OK…

In response to your request:

1. Done. Id’s are 3bf361a7 (F32) and da39d5b3 (F32 Jam)
  2. Done. Id’s are 9bad2a8a (F32) and f91ceb8c (F32 Jam)

From a system perspective, a major difference is that I removed the akonadi stuff in F32 Jam in order to make KDE a bit lighter and more responsive.

Issue somehow resolved. I don’t know what did it, either the latest Wine, or a 5.8 kernel update. Maybe a combination…? Anyway, Wine now runs OK. Thanks for your assistance. /cmw

1 Like