F34 - Migrate HDD to SSD disk

I have just purchased a 1TB SSD disk for my F34 desktop installation, which currently utilizes a 2TB HDD disk.
Below you can check my current situation:

Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                 4,0M     0  4,0M   0% /dev
tmpfs                    3,4G   98M  3,3G   3% /dev/shm
tmpfs                    1,4G  1,8M  1,4G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/fedora-root   50G   40G  7,5G  84% /
tmpfs                    3,4G  7,0M  3,4G   1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/fedora-home  1,8T  653G  1,1T  39% /home
/dev/sda1                477M  315M  133M  71% /boot
tmpfs                    694M  200K  693M   1% /run/user/1000

Is there any step-by-step procedure to follow in order to migrate my existing setup to the NEW SSD disk?

use dd it is really powerful here is a link

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-linux-dd-create-make-disk-image-commands/
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/805-7228/bkupsavefiles-60904/index.html
all are same just i find them so added read and do it as you like.
Edit i have typed that but when posting it maybe removed by me by mistake you can use clonezilla https://clonezilla.org/ also
And i also recommend doing a fresh install as @ersen mentioned in the next post. You can install the os and just copy the /home folder and other files and folders.

Best solution in my opinion: Backup important files, perform a clean install and copy them back to your newly installed system

Other than that, I recommend using something like Rescuezilla or Clonezilla.

2 Likes

Let me think… Because the drive you moving to is <= your current drive, In my mind at least, would make it harder to simply do a clone.

I would try creating the partitions you need then you could copy over your files. You will have to reconfigure grub via chroot and probably will have to reconfigure crypt setup if you go that way.

Alternatively you could try shrinking down your existing partitions to less than or equal to the size of your ssd then you could clone those partitions over to your ssd. This will probably require messing with lvm but the last time I did that it wasn’t to bad between the man pages and a few youtube videos it shouldn’t be that hard.

There is some merit to those who recommend a reinstall.

Wouldn’t cloning to a smaller drive cause some problems unless you shrink the partitions before hand?

1 Like

Yes right i hope he knows that because here his hdd>ssd he have to reduce that.

My rule always has been to get a drive of equal or larger size when upgrading a hard drive.

I’ll follow the safe side!
Since there is no documented process for this kind of task, I will proceed with a clean F35 installation.

You will probably get the best results doing that. Especially if you don’t currently have the understanding of how to generally go about the procedure and feel real comfortable reading some man pages. I even opted to go that route the last time I upgraded a drive.

In the past I made an image of a decrypted luks root volume as part of a data recovery on a corrupted drive. I was able to repair the filesystem errors and recover critical files from that image. Later I decided to try to make it a vm because why not. I had the most important bits, I had a kernel and all the user land applications so why couldn’t I turn it back into a working Operating system. The os went from a uefi boot with lvm and luks encryption to a legacy boot with no lvm or luks encryption. It wasn’t to far outside of my wheel house but I wasn’t use to configuring grub or chrooting to be able to have the option of configuring grub.

You can just copy all of the files over from your old home to your new home and you will mostly be there. Copy any other manual configurations and install the same applications you had before and you will be back to where you were before. I wish you smooth sailing.