Hello how are you?.
I have a problem that has been present for more than 6 years and it also affects the sections in Xorg, although in a different way (striped screen in Xorg).
I would like to help as much as possible to investigate these screen/system freezes to see if there is a way to recover the system without resorting to a forced shutdown.
I’ve always liked using my old pc as a fedora test mini lab, I’d really love to help improve that, maybe there’s more collateral benefit to this.
About the problem:
- Possible causes: The gonome wayland section suddenly freezes in cases where I use the system panels, many programs open at the same time, playing videos, opening and closing games in full screen, among other things.
- The graphics: The graphics are frozen (as if it were a screenshot), the mouse cursor stops moving.
- The audio: The audio reproduction does not seem to be affected by this, the music continues to play, the video also and even, and if a music ends, it advances to the next track.
- The keyboard: The shortcuts no longer work, it is also not possible to change/open any section of the TTY terminal, but the keyboard lights still respond to “block mayus” or “block number”.
- Processor: the light keeps blinking, it also blinks when pressing some keys like “block mayus” and “block number”.
- Screen off or screen lock: When the minutes pass and the section activates the screen saver or turns off the screen, the displayed image is only black (what looked like a screenshot is now all black).
My gpu is old:
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] [10de:03d6] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:03d6] Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22, NUMA node 0 Memory at fa000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at f9000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: nouveau Kernel modules: nouveau 00:18.0 Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration [1022:1200] Flags: fast devsel, NUMA node 0