Failed to try-restart sssd-autofs.service

I don’t know what does this mean…can anyone help me solving this issue and make me clear what this all is about…

Failed to try-restart sssd-autofs.service: Operation refused, unit sssd-autofs.service may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop).

See system logs and ‘systemctl status sssd-autofs.service’ for details.

Failed to try-restart sssd-nss.service: Operation refused, unit sssd-nss.service may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop).

See system logs and ‘systemctl status sssd-nss.service’ for details.

Failed to try-restart sssd-pac.service: Operation refused, unit sssd-pac.service may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop).

See system logs and ‘systemctl status sssd-pac.service’ for details.

Failed to try-restart sssd-pam.service: Operation refused, unit sssd-pam.service may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop).

See system logs and ‘systemctl status sssd-pam.service’ for details.

Failed to try-restart sssd-ssh.service: Operation refused, unit sssd-ssh.service may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop).

See system logs and ‘systemctl status sssd-ssh.service’ for details.

Failed to try-restart sssd-sudo.service: Operation refused, unit sssd-sudo.service may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop).

When do you see these errors?

I did dmesg and this showed up… I don’t know what sssd is or what this will do… But I just wanted to be aware about “Is this really a issue and Is there a reason that this ought to be fixed…? Can I fix this…despite this is minor…?”
I don’t even know what is dmesg? Just because someone told me to do this I did it… I am very unknown about all about these topics from problems encountered to solutions
Just because I am a newbie and I don’t want my laptop to show up any sort of issues… This laptop is like a son to me and I don’t want any thing to happen to this… :laughing: :laughing: :joy:

@mattdm can you help me understand how to become known to these topics…?
I am very unknown to any problem and even it’s solution… I don’t want to just copy and paste I want to taste the real meaning of becoming a fedora user… Please help me… :persevere: :cold_sweat:

If you look at the unit files associated with these, in the unit section you’ll see an entry RefuseManualStart=true
Those files are in /usr/lib/systemd/system
You could do a quick check with grep -n Refuse /usr/lib/systemd/system/sssd*.service

Takes a boolean argument. If true , this unit can only be activated or deactivated indirectly. In this case, explicit start-up or termination requested by the user is denied, however if it is started or stopped as a dependency of another unit, start-up or termination will succeed. This is mostly a safety feature to ensure that the user does not accidentally activate units that are not intended to be activated explicitly, and not accidentally deactivate units that are not intended to be deactivated. These options default to false .

Some additional details are here

On my system when I see this, it’s usually me trying to manually stop/start a service that is supposed to be started dynamically.

Some additional info regarding looking at logs Viewing logs in Fedora :: Fedora Docs

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

There is a lot to learn, but don’t worry – you’re totally doing the right thing. There’s no problem with all of these questions, and poking into each one is definitely one way to learn. I’m only asking about your goals in order to know how we can best help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.