Fan control in HP envy 13 ryzen 4500u

Hello
I’m wondering if there is any chance to control fans on my HP envy 13 notebook. I’d like to be able to set cooling curves. I’ve tried lm_sensors library and RyzenAdj but non of these seem to work properly. Sensors-detect doesn’t even find my cooling devices, so no pwmconfig is possible. For now i have only selected in BIOS “fan always on” mode. When this option is turned off, my laptop cools only passive and reaches high temps. With fan always on option temps are ok for normal use, but i wonder if they manage to speed up during high system load. The BIOS is pretty simple itself and doesn’t allow to add cooling curve.
Thanks for all sugestions.

Welcome to ask :fedora:edora

With the info you have provided, and the fact that lm_sensors was unable to locate any fans, it seems unlikely that fedora will be able to directly manage the fans.

You can, however, add gkrellm and then run an almost real time monitor that can display temps (or just use the sensors command) to see how well the bios is doing at managing cpu temps with the built in fan control.

With a laptop I would not get concerned as long as CPU temps are mostly kept about 70 or below. Some even do well with temps in the mid 80s. I have a newer gaming laptop and do not have access to change the cooling curves, but it stays about 65 with all processors at ~60% load. (i7 6 core 12 thread)

Thanks for reply. In my previous OS (kubuntu) i managed to get more than 90 deg with “always on fan” turned off - the fans didn’t even wake up… Here is screenshot with what i get after running sensors command. The same is displayed in gkrellm.

I also have CPU-X installed and runned built in benchmark. All 6 cores 100% load and 73deg - fans didn’t even go faster.
Btw, while running windows, fans can react to temp changes. There is also something like hp command center with 4 fans profiles (power, normal, quiet and passive). I’m afraid that once i run something demanding on linux, might overheat my cpu and damage it somehow.

Did you run sensors-detect after installing lm_sensors?
That should find all the available sensors for you.
Also, if you check the boxes in gkrellm then it will display the checked sensors on the gkrellm display so you can in real time see the temps and will know if they are getting too high.

It all 6 cores are at 100% with temps at 73 then it seems the fans are doing what is needed. I don’t think 73 is a temp that should worry you since with less load it should run at a lower temp. Laptops almost always run hotter than a desktop since the components are packed in a lot less space.

It is comparing apples to oranges here when one thinks Linux and Windows should be the same. MS works with the manufacturers to optimize the software & hardware interaction. Linux is FOSS and does not get the same support from the hardware side.

Well, sensors-detect didn’t find any new sensors. The only thing found is:

Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): yes
Using driver `i2c-piix4’ for device 0000:00:14.0: AMD KERNCZ SMBus
Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.
It seems to appear this way every time i run sensors-detect. All other options during the scan had no sensors found.

I’ve checked the boxes in gkrellm and monitored it while running cpu-x benchmark. The benchmark was prime number for 3 minutes and 6 cores. I think it’s not the most demanding benchmark anyways (maybe?)

UPDATE
I made another test, this time with “always on fan” turned off in BIOS and the same cpu-x benchmark for 6 threads for 3 mins. When temps go up above 80deg, then fans start to cool and even speed up a little, then the temp start falling to 40 deg, and when the load disappears, the fans turn off. So it looks like, i’ve panicked to quickly and fans are running properly. It’s my first laptop and i’m still gettin’ to it. I always used a desktop PC where fans run all the time and temps basically aren’t the case for me.

I’m still wondering if there is any way to change limits from 80 deg to some lower value, so the body does not feel warm and fans start to run earlier. Passive mode feels great for temp below 40deg.

Anyways, thanks for help and sharing your experience in mobile cooling systems! :slight_smile: