Fedora 33 and kernel 5.6.8

Hi,

I’m currently on Fedora 32 with kernel 5.6.8 because Brave browser, and VLC doesn’t work for me on either 5.7.x or 5.8.x.

I’m on integrated Intel GPU.

I want to do a clean install of Fedora 33. Will kernel 5.6.8 work with it?

If you do a clean install you will have the default kernel released in the iso and will have nothing else as far as kernels when the install is finished.
Try your other packages with the clean install and if they fail then it is possible to reinstall the older kernel from the F32 repo so you will not be totally lost.

Is that a laptop? If so then you probably have the alternative video available and that might work for you as well with the newer kernel and the right drivers.
My laptop has the nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile as well as the Intel UHD Graphics 630 and I use the nvidia as primary display. I am not concerned about the shortened battery life since I am seldom mobile for extended periods and I still get more than 4 hours even with using the nvidia display.

What you have can easily be seen using “lspci | grep VGA”

1 Like

Hi @computersavvy

That’s what I thought

Will do. Do you know if there is something like lts kernel in Fedora?

Nope. I am on desktop.

That’s the output:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

Not having your hardware I have no way of predicting whether F33 will work with your packages. All I can say for certain is that it is worth a try, but if it fails and you need those packages you might be forced to revert to the older F32 kernel.
I can also say that it seems that fedora has been releasing a kernel update almost weekly recently.

1 Like

Fedora 33 Live system: Do brave and vlc work there (in Live environment)?

I assume it will work but it’s a bad idea because 5.6.8 is unpatched, the entire 5.6.x series is unmaintained for Fedora.
There is no lts kernel for Fedora.