Fedora 33 - slow network, possible dns issue?

On Fedora 33 I am experiencing a weird issue, I think related to network settings.
After a fresh install, pages in Firefox load extremely slow. It will take about 10 minutes for a page to load. It seems like a dns issue, but I’m not sure.

I should note that I was using Fedora 32 on this laptop prior to this with no issue at all and I have not made any changes to my home network. I was reading some recent posts about users having trouble with resolvd, but most seem to use vpn and I do not use a vpn.

Any ideas? I had to install Ubuntu so my machine is usable. I just want Fedora! lol.

1 Like

Might want to check the configuration of systemd.resovled. At least see if it is running:

sudo systemctl status systemd-resolved.service

And then would be good to see what’s up it’s journal:

sudo journalctl -u systemd-resolved -f

While it’s an old article, I’ve found wisdom here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/328131/how-to-troubleshoot-dns-with-systemd-resolved

1 Like

Try to modify your connection and re-establish it to apply changes:

sudo nmcli connection modify id CON_NAME \
    ipv4.ignore-auto-dns yes ipv6.ignore-auto-dns yes

This makes you use major public DNS providers disabling local resolvers.

1 Like

This fixed my issue. Thank you for taking the time. Any idea why this is even needed in the first place? I have always had a great out of box experience with fedora until now.

1 Like

Local resolvers may not support some features are in many cases are less reliable than major providers.