Fedora 33 - slow network, possible dns issue?

On Fedora 33 I am experiencing a weird issue, I think related to network settings.
After a fresh install, pages in Firefox load extremely slow. It will take about 10 minutes for a page to load. It seems like a dns issue, but I’m not sure.

I should note that I was using Fedora 32 on this laptop prior to this with no issue at all and I have not made any changes to my home network. I was reading some recent posts about users having trouble with resolvd, but most seem to use vpn and I do not use a vpn.

Any ideas? I had to install Ubuntu so my machine is usable. I just want Fedora! lol.

1 Like

Might want to check the configuration of systemd.resovled. At least see if it is running:

sudo systemctl status systemd-resolved.service

And then would be good to see what’s up it’s journal:

sudo journalctl -u systemd-resolved -f

While it’s an old article, I’ve found wisdom here: How to troubleshoot DNS with systemd-resolved? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

1 Like

Try to modify your connection and re-establish it to apply changes:

sudo nmcli connection modify id CON_NAME \
    ipv4.ignore-auto-dns yes ipv6.ignore-auto-dns yes

This makes you use major public DNS providers disabling local resolvers.

1 Like

This fixed my issue. Thank you for taking the time. Any idea why this is even needed in the first place? I have always had a great out of box experience with fedora until now.

1 Like

Local resolvers may not support some features are in many cases are less reliable than major providers.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.