Fedora 35 KDE Plasma Issue

I have been using KDE as my desktop since Red Hat 7 and recently updated from 33 to 35. I have this on a number of dual-boot machines, but in one instance I can not use KDE but must use Gnome instead. Here’s why:

The display for this machine is a Philips HD TV, fed by HDMI from an HP 86-64. Windows 10 makes automatic allowance for the TV overscan; no setting necessary. Gnome has a display setting (switch) to adapt for TV, which shrinks the display area so the entire desktop is visible. But KDE 35 Plasma seems to lack such an adjustment, with the result that many of the relevant buttons, conveniently placed at the extremes of the desktop, are invisible and in some cases unreachable. The effect is to make installation difficult or impossible.

If there is an adjustment setting, I have been unable to find it. Ironically I installed Red Hat Fedora 8 on the machine just to see what would happen and it adjusted itself automatically. It seems to me an important feature of KDE, which once existed, has been left out of Plasma on the 35 release.

Do I understand right saying you have a problem with the Fedora-Linux 35 KDE Spin live ISO?
Resoluton just 800x600. Continue and OK buttons are not reachable.

Did you check if it works under X11? Plasma’s support for Wayland is still experimental and not yet feature complete.

If nothing else, you can easily use xrandr under X11 to create some underscan.

As I remember the Live ISO User has automatic login and even if you log out and login again the x11 session option is missing.
See: Can't install Fedora 34, Gnome anaconda black with wayland - #6 by sprintcowboy

1 Like

Screen shots attached. The Philips has a native resolution of 1920x1080. The live install recognizes the monitor and resolution, but unless you select “Adjust for TV” you can’t see the bottom tray and most of the “Next” buttons are invisible. If you do adjust you get the full desktop.

Windows 10 and Red Hat 8 don’t appear to have that problem.

Hi, on KDE you could use overscan on System Setting > Display and Monitor > Display Configuration. On the bottom you’ll find “Overscan”. Give it 5% to 10% and then apply. It should reduces the screen size.