Fedora 36 Gnome failing to play any video source

Hi, I have been looking for a solution to this problem all afternoon, After booting up I discovered that firefox is not playing youtube videos or videos from other streaming sources. I then tried playing video using mpv from my own catalog and videos will not play. Just a still image is displayed.
Ive tried, power cycling, updates, checking status of rpm fusion, installed vlc, i tried this (sudo dnf swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg --allowerasing) and this (dnf groupupdate core).
I am obviously missing something important but unfortunately my knowledge isn’t great, Fedora works so well normally.

You’re likely missing audio/video codes.
rpmfusion provides all you need … see:

Enable rpmfusion free and non-free and then install vlc, which will pull in all you need.

1 Like

Hi,
thanks for the reply, I have the fusion repos setup, I have checked them as well, all installed correctly. I tried re-installing but this made no difference. The system has been setup for some time it is not new.
This was working yesterday without issue, today not.
Correction:
Ok so without re-booting everything started working, after 3 hours or so and several reboots. This just means the issue is going to be hard to reproduce.
Seperate but maybe related issue: fldigi is not loading and throwing an error.
Pulse Audio Error: Timeout
Is the server running?

thanks

1 Like

Have you checked that pipewire and wire plumber are running?

1 Like

Hi,
thanks, yes it looks like pipewire is running, but then apart from fldigi deciding not to work video is now working.
I have no ideas, I may have to consider a clean install as I can not upgrade to 37 anyway.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Please consider this closed untill I get more info. Until I can repeat the problem I cannot fix it.
j

1 Like