Fedora 36 is running slow, and almost crashes when i am multitasking

Great.
Just to be sure, is secure boot disabled in the BIOS?

Yes I Have

Yet after a reboot, you still get the message that the nVidia kernel module is missing?

I need to be afk, I hope someone else can jump in. In the meantime, could you reboot, save your system log to a file and upload it to a pastebin service? Do something like journalctl --no-hostname -b > Desktop/logfile to dump the log to a text file.

System Log

Actually, I am feeling like doing a fresh install, as it is going worst … Cannot open the browser and terminal simultaneously, it closes without a warning … :melting_face:

You do not have the proper repo installed to enable the installation of the older drivers.
You posted

$ sudo dnf repolist
repo id                         repo name
Atom                            Atom Editor
anydesk                         AnyDesk Fedora - stable
fedora                          Fedora 36 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264           Fedora 36 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular                  Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64
google-chrome                   google-chrome
phracek-PyCharm                 Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek
rpmfusion-free                  RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free
rpmfusion-free-updates          RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Updates
rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - NVIDIA Driver
rpmfusion-nonfree-steam         RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Steam
updates                         Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular                 Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Updates

which does not show

rpmfusion-nonfree                                                  RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                          RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Updates

Those repos are the ones needed to install the nvidia 340, 390, or 470 drivers. The older drivers are not contained in the rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver repo. With the gpu you have I would recommend that you go back to the rpmfusion site here
https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
and do the following

Fedora with dnf:

sudo dnf install https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

then remove the currently installed nvidia packages and disable the rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver repo
sudo dnf remove *nvidia* followed by sudo dnf config-manager --disable rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver

Following that then install the proper drivers as shown here
https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA#Legacy_GeForce_600.2F700

dnf update -y
sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-470xx akmod-nvidia-470xx
sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-470xx-cuda 

The cuda driver is optional for cuda up to 11.4 support

As far as the memory issue is concerned I would suggest that you do one or both of the following

1. install additional matching RAM
    This may not be possible and does have a cost.
  2. Enable a physical swap partition on the HDD.
    There are lots of guides on how this is done, and by adding the additional swap will help tremendously with the issue of apps being killed by the OOMD daemon that is plaguing you now. You may even want to completely disable zram and use only the physical swap partition if you do not add additional RAM, but one step at a time
1 Like

Good catch. However, akmod-nvidia-470xx-470.141.03-1.fc36.x86_64 is installed and according to the system log, it has been built for the right kernel version, so I’m not sure if this will help…

I would also add a third option: use one of the “lighter” Fedora Spins, e.g. Mate, XFCE, LXDE or LXQT.

I switched to Linux because Windows was working fine, but needed a better performance. After installing Fedora everything was going smooth without any bumps, even Android Studio was running without any lags, but now it’s been hell to run a simple browser.

@computersavvy I agree on low ram space, but things like basic tasks must run smoothly even in a low-end PC than mine.

And can u link me up with a good blog or docs for Enable a physical swap partition on the HDD.

LMGTFY

This search how to enable physical swap on fedora 36 will give lots of useful links.