Fedora 37 KDE spin crashed while booting, what exactly do I do?

Hello everyone.
So, as a quick disclaimer, I’m someone who is a very non-tech person and who has never actually used anything like Fedora before.
Recently I decided to switch my OS. After doing some research, I decided to to install a Fedora 37 KDE spin on my ASUS X550IK laptop.
It took a bunch of times before my live USB could pass the boot check for corrupted/broken files. When it finally did, I launched the live version and began installing Fedora on my hard drive. I chose to encrypt my system. Everything seemed alright. I set the parameters, clicked “Install” and waited. But during that process of waiting, I needed to get up, and, being as clumsy as I am, I think I accidentally pushed the side of my laptop, where the live USB was. I am not sure whether I touched the USB, but I probably did. There was no sign of any errors though.

When the installation was finished, everything seemed alright too. I used the system for an hour or two, then I received a notification about security updates (through the program called Discovery), I think there was 750 of those updates (or 750 MB, I don’t remember). I proceeded with the updating. It told me to restart my computer, so I did that and waited. When the update process was finished, I entered my encryption password wrong a bunch of times, then I got it right and… it gave me this error.

Sadly, I did not save the .txt report file…

Someone suggested that this error should not happen normally, that this shouldn’t happen due to updates, and that it’s a sign that something went really wrong during the installation. I do suspect that I pushed the USB after all. I don’t assume that an encrypted disk becomes unavailable for booting after entering the password wrong a bunch of times, right?

Am I correct to assume that I need to somehow uninstall Fedora and reinstall it again? If yes, how do I safely uninstall it? There are different guides online, so I was a bit hesitant and decided to ask directly in the system’s community to be more sure.

You got to the system which booted and was used for some time. That indicates an acceptable install.

When you boot again you should see a menu that allows selecting the kernel to use for booting. Select the older one (with the lower version number) and try booting that one. If it boots normally we can trouble shoot and do repairs if needed from that point.

One thing of note. If you encrypted the disk it would be a good idea to commit that password to memory so you can easily enter it correctly. If you lose it then everything that is encrypted will be lost forever.

1 Like

thanks a lot! This actually worked. I updated everything again from there, then booted the latest version and everything looks fine.

1 Like