Fedora 37 - Stopped getting the Non-free repository - Now having this Flatpak issue

I took the advice of a seasoned poster who recommended getting rid of the Non free repository seeing as I was a beginner, not a programmer and was basically not needed at this point. Since then I haven’t noticed a lot of changes. Obviously a lot less of daily updates which is nice but just recently I’ve noticed this and was wondering if the two were connected as this never happened before. Thoughts?

ozziekenezovich@fedora ~]$ flatpak update 
Looking for updates… 
Info: (pinned) org.fedoraproject.Platform//f35 is end-of-life, with reason: 
  Fedora 35 runtime is no longer supported. 
Nothing to do. 
[ozziekenezovich@fedora ~]$ 

flatpak uninstall --unused

will remove unnecessary packages/runtimes

What nonfree repo are you talking about? Where is the other post/advise?

If you are talking about rpmfusion… you likely need the non-free stuff, especially multimedia codecs.

2 Likes

I am not sure I follow your post properly.
First you comment about getting rid of the Non free repository but do not tell us what that repo was nor why it was suggested that you remove it. Lots of persons have opinions, but not all are applicable to others or their situations.

Was it the rpmfusion-nonfree repo? or something else? The rpmfusion-nonfree repo provides a lot of tools, codecs, packages, etc. that fedora is unable to include but are specifically packaged for compatibility with fedora.

Please post the output of dnf repolist all so we can see what repos you have installed and what are enabled. We can then see the results of your answer above.

The fact you are posting about f35 in the tag and f37 in the topic is also confusing. The flatpak message is self explanatory.

F37 is being released very soon (tomorrow?) and f35 is going EOL almost immediately (30 days later) so flatpaks no longer support the f35 runtime environment. If you were to unpin that runtime then the flatpak updates could be done with newer org.fedoraproject.Platform runtimes and the error would no longer appear.

1 Like

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/running-fedora-35-kde-plasma-want-to-upgrade-to-fedora-36-linux-beginner/
Jeff V apologies I meant to say non free as I ran the command you provided in this previous thread of mine.
Also how would I unpin this?
I am running F36 as far as I understand.

heres the results for dnf repolist all

[ozziekenezovich@fedora ~]$ dnf repolist all
repo id                                        repo name                                           status
brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com_x86_64_ created by dnf config-manager from https://brave-br disabled
fedora                                         Fedora 36 - x86_64                                  enabled
fedora-cisco-openh264                          Fedora 36 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64            enabled
fedora-cisco-openh264-debuginfo                Fedora 36 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64 - Debug    disabled
fedora-debuginfo                               Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Debug                          disabled
fedora-modular                                 Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64                          enabled
fedora-modular-debuginfo                       Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Debug                  disabled
fedora-modular-source                          Fedora Modular 36 - Source                          disabled
fedora-source                                  Fedora 36 - Source                                  disabled
protonvpn-fedora-stable                        ProtonVPN Fedora Stable repository                  disabled
rpmfusion-free                                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free                     enabled
rpmfusion-free-debuginfo                       RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Debug             disabled
rpmfusion-free-source                          RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Source            enabled
rpmfusion-free-updates                         RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Updates           enabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-debuginfo               RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Updates Debug     disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-source                  RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Updates Source    disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Test Updates      disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing-debuginfo       RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Test Updates Debu disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing-source          RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Test Updates Sour disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree                              RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree                  enabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-debuginfo                    RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Debug          disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-source                       RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Source         disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Updates        enabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-debuginfo            RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Updates Debug  disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-source               RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Updates Source disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing              RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Test Updates   disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing-debuginfo    RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Test Updates D disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing-source       RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Test Updates S disabled
updates                                        Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates                        enabled
updates-debuginfo                              Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates - Debug                disabled
updates-modular                                Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Updates                enabled
updates-modular-debuginfo                      Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Updates - Debug        disabled
updates-modular-source                         Fedora Modular 36 - Updates Source                  disabled
updates-source                                 Fedora 36 - Updates Source                          disabled
updates-testing                                Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Test Updates                   disabled
updates-testing-debuginfo                      Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Test Updates Debug             disabled
updates-testing-modular                        Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Test Updates           disabled
updates-testing-modular-debuginfo              Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Test Updates Debug     disabled
updates-testing-modular-source                 Fedora Modular 36 - Test Updates Source             disabled
updates-testing-source                         Fedora 36 - Test Updates Source                     disabled
[ozziekenezovich@fedora ~]$ 

Jeff V here is the comment from the previous thread with thr command I am talking about, Thanks for your help then and now!

Those are all very standard except for the rpmfusion-free-source repo.

I am not sure why you would have that repo even installed as a beginner. It would only be needed if you were downloading and compiling software for yourself. You might want to disable that repo (semi)permanently with dnf config-manager --disable rpmfusion-free-source. It can be enabled later if you need it.

The release version comes from your system and would be updated to the fedora 36 version when you do the system upgrade.

Thank you for tying this back to your previous post.
You still have the repo noted above enabled, but that is likely not an issue unless you specifically want to download and install source packages. It also is not necessary unless you are wanting to download source packages so could be disabled as previously noted.

The problem you seem to be asking about now is the flatpak issue, and as I noted you could unpin that runtime and the problem will likely disappear with the next update.

man flatpak pin will give you the man page related
flatpak pin should list all the runtimes currently pinned
flatpak pin --remove <runtime.pattern.name> should unpin the named runtime.
The error you show seems to indicate the runtime at issue is org.fedoraproject.Platform//f35 so you should be able to put that name into the last command above and unpin it so it can be removed.
flatpak pin --remove org.fedoraproject.Platform//f35 might do it, but may need to be run with sudo depending upon how that runtime was installed.

Note that the pattern I used came from the error you posted and may not be exactly the same as you will see when you use flatpak pin to display the pinned patterns.

Okay so if i didn’t take down the rpm repo which one did i take down and id that a problem based on my repo post above? Ill try the unpin method above and post results shortly.

Thanks Jeff V those commands worked perfectly, so I tried to run flathpak update and now heres my result its still wanting to install/update f35for some reason how can I fix this? Thanks for your help learning a lot in these threads.

[ozziekenezovich@fedora ~]$ flatpak update
Looking for updates…
Info: org.fedoraproject.Platform//f35 is end-of-life, with reason:
   Fedora 35 runtime is no longer supported.

ID                                 Branch         Op         Remote          Download
 1.     org.gnome.Platform.Locale          43             u          flathub         < 340.2 MB (partial)
 2.     org.gnome.Platform                 43             u          flathub         < 325.0 MB
 3.     org.fedoraproject.Platform         f35            r

Proceed with these changes to the system installation? [Y/n]: 

That is telling you it will remove that runtime. Notice the r under the Op column.