Fedora 37 update from F34 fails. Unable to connect to Mirrors and upgrade repositories

I do not understand why I cant upgrade by Upgrading Fedora using the DNF system upgrade

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh

sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=37

When I follow the Docs https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/.I receive this failure to update message:

retrieving repo key for gh-cli unencrypted from http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xc99b11deb97541f0
packages for the GitHub CLI 17 kB/s | 2.5 kB 00:00
GPG key at http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xc99b11deb97541f0 (0xB97541F0) is already installed
The GPG keys listed for the “packages for the GitHub CLI” repository are already installed but they are not correct for this package.
Check that the correct key URLs are configured for this repository… Failing package is: gh-2.20.2-1.x86_64

GPG Keys are configured as: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xc99b11deb97541f0

The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing ‘dnf clean packages’.
Error: GPG check FAILED

I do not understand GPG Key are configured as Ubuntu. Where do I find and download new GPG keys which should be replaced in Fedora Release (Modern) :: Fedora Docs

This just works with Fedora versions not EOL. F34 is EOL. Any extra repository for F34 is probably not available anymore.

You probably just have to remove gh-cli as a repository and check after upgrade if it is still available to add so that you can install from it.

Edit:
I added some words to clarify that I speak from repositories and specially of thous from copr etc.
@augenauf I hope it is clearer now.

1 Like

It is always recommended (and supported) to only upgrade 1 or 2 levels at a time. It may work to upgrade 3 levels at once but that is not supported nor recommended by fedora.

I would first (temporarily) disable any 3rd party repos in use, then do the OS upgrade. After the upgrade is completed and successful then you could enable the 3rd party repos needed and upgrade their software as well.

Since the error is github related and GH is 3rd party that seems likely to fix that error.

1 Like

I found a application called Package http://ww38.packagekit.org/. Very usefull as it is GUI and where it is possible to remove package by name like GH.

Thank you very much r@h.c (email removed_signed @augenauf)

Licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 2

Only drawback to that is you are on 34 and wanting to upgrade to 37 so installing another 3rd party package may cause more problems. Dnf is easy to work with even enabling or disabling repos so I follow the KISS principle. Keep It Simple…

1 Like

KISS! LOL! I need it to be simple or I will mess everything up

How about posting the output of dnf repolist so we can see what 3rd party repos may be enabled to simplify things.

1 Like

Oh yes! The good old

dnf repolist command

[TemplePusher@jonas-bloch-riisgaard ~]$ dnf repolist
repo id                                                                                                                    repo name
copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:vstanek:gnome-info-collect                                                                  Copr repo for gnome-info-collect owned by vstanek
copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:ycollet:linuxmao                                                                            Copr repo for linuxmao owned by ycollet
fedora                                                                                                                     Fedora 34 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264                                                                                                      Fedora 34 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular                                                                                                             Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64
gh-cli                                                                                                                     packages for the GitHub CLI
phracek-PyCharm                                                                                                            Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek
rpmfusion-nonfree-steam                                                                                                    RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Nonfree - Steam
updates                                                                                                                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular                                                                                                            Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Updates
[TemplePusher@jonas-bloch-riisgaard ~]$

With that list I would suggest that you use the --disablerepo option for each of the copr and the gh-cli repos with your sudo dnf upgrade --refresh and with the sudo dnf system-upgrade download commands to disable those repos and avoid interfering with the OS upgrade.

Alternatively you could use dnf config-manager --disable copr:* gh-cli which would disable those repos, then do the system-upgrade all the way through. If you do it this way they can be re-enabled by replacing --disable in that command line with --enable

The first way only disables the repo for the one command where that disablerepo option is used. The second way (semi)permanently disables the repo until it is re-enabled. I personally prefer the second method when using several commands in a row that need the repo disabled, but it is up to you.

1 Like

Where should I type in the --disablerepo ? Should it be addressed with a repo-name like a package ?

–disable copr:* gh-cli

[TemplePusher@jonas-bloch-riisgaard ~]$ dnf repolist 
repo id                                                                                                      repo name
fedora                                                                                                       Fedora 34 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264                                                                                        Fedora 34 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular                                                                                               Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64
phracek-PyCharm                                                                                              Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek
rpmfusion-nonfree-steam                                                                                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Nonfree - Steam
updates                                                                                                      Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular                                                                                              Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Updates

[TemplePusher@jonas-bloch-riisgaard ~]$ sudo dnf repolist
repo id repo name
fedora Fedora 34 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264 Fedora 34 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64
phracek-PyCharm Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek
rpmfusion-nonfree-steam RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Nonfree - Steam
updates Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Updates

It is still f34 Modular

Error:
Problem 1: package Rack-v1-1.1.6-13.fc34.x86_64 requires libGLEW.so.2.1()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed

• libGLEW-2.1.0-9.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package Rack-v1-1.1.6-13.fc34.x86_64
    Problem 2: package annobin-9.79-5.fc34.x86_64 requires (gcc >= 11 with gcc < 12), but none of the providers can be installed
  • gcc-11.3.1-2.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package annobin-9.79-5.fc34.x86_64
    Problem 3: package compat-golang-github-google-v35-devel-35.2.0-1.fc34.noarch requires golang-ipath(GitHub - google/go-github: Go library for accessing the GitHub v3 API) = 35.2.0-1.fc34, but none of the providers can be installed
  • golang-github-google-devel-35.2.0-1.fc34.noarch does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package compat-golang-github-google-v35-devel-35.2.0-1.fc34.noarch
    Problem 4: package protonvpn-gui-1.7.0-11.noarch requires python(abi) = 3.9, but none of the providers can be installed
  • python3-3.9.13-1.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package protonvpn-gui-1.7.0-11.noarch
    Problem 5: package protonvpn-1.0.0-3.noarch requires protonvpn-cli, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package python3-protonvpn-nm-lib-3.8.0-6.fc34.noarch conflicts with protonvpn-cli < 3.11.0 provided by protonvpn-cli-2.2.11-6.fc37.noarch
  • protonvpn-cli-3.11.1-4.noarch does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package python3-protonvpn-nm-lib-3.8.0-6.fc34.noarch
  • problem with installed package protonvpn-1.0.0-3.noarch
    Problem 6: package python3-3.9.13-1.fc34.x86_64 requires python3-libs(x86-64) = 3.9.13-1.fc34, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package python3-proton-client-0.7.1-2.noarch requires python(abi) = 3.9, but none of the providers can be installed
  • python3-libs-3.9.13-1.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package python3-proton-client-0.7.1-2.noarch
    (try to add ‘–allowerasing’ to command line to replace conflicting packages or ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages)

This works with EOL versions, and it should still work with F34, see https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-34&arch=x86_64

Only later, once the repo has been moved to “Archive”, the upgrade is only possible after adjusting the URL in the repo files manually.

This is a repo, not a package.

1 Like

As previously noted, upgrades are always recommended to be done one release version at a time, and only supported for 2 versions.

Have you tried sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=35?
Have you tried sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=35 --disablerepo=gh-cli as suggested?
Have you looked at man dnf system-upgrade for assistance in how it functions and how to format your commands?
Have you considered that it may be necessary to remove the conflicting packages before the upgrade can be properly completed?

1 Like

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=35

Problem 1: package compat-golang-github-docker-distribution-devel-2.8.0~beta.1-1.20220203gitb609265.fc34.noarch requires golang-ipath(github.com/distribution/distribution/v3) = 2.8.0~beta.1-1.20220203gitb609265.fc34, but none of the providers can be installed

• golang-github-distribution-3-devel-2.8.0~beta.1-1.20220203gitb609265.fc34.noarch does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package compat-golang-github-docker-distribution-devel-2.8.0~beta.1-1.20220203gitb609265.fc34.noarch
    Problem 2: package protonvpn-gui-1.7.0-11.noarch requires python(abi) = 3.9, but none of the providers can be installed
  • python3-3.9.13-1.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package protonvpn-gui-1.7.0-11.noarch
    Problem 3: package protonvpn-1.0.0-3.noarch requires protonvpn-cli, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package python3-protonvpn-nm-lib-3.8.0-6.fc34.noarch conflicts with protonvpn-cli < 3.11.0 provided by protonvpn-cli-2.2.6-2.fc35.noarch
  • package python3-protonvpn-nm-lib-3.8.0-6.fc34.noarch conflicts with protonvpn-cli < 3.11.0 provided by protonvpn-cli-2.2.11-3.fc35.noarch
  • protonvpn-cli-3.11.1-4.noarch does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package python3-protonvpn-nm-lib-3.8.0-6.fc34.noarch
  • problem with installed package protonvpn-1.0.0-3.noarch
    Problem 4: package python3-3.9.13-1.fc34.x86_64 requires python3-libs(x86-64) = 3.9.13-1.fc34, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package python3-proton-client-0.7.1-2.noarch requires python(abi) = 3.9, but none of the providers can be installed
  • python3-libs-3.9.13-1.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  • problem with installed package python3-proton-client-0.7.1-2.noarch
    (try to add ‘–allowerasing’ to command line to replace conflicting packages or ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages)

Work down that list, one package at a time, removing the conflicted packages that are not part of fedora until the conflicts are cleaned up.
These 2 in particular are clearly telling you the problem
compat-golang-github-docker-distribution-devel-2.8.0~beta and
golang-github-distribution-3-devel-2.8.0~beta.
Both of which were installed from github.
The remainder seem related to protonvpn packages their need for python 3.9 on fedora 34 with python 3.11 on fedora 37. Removing the protonvpn packages will probably clear all that up.

Always use the recommended sudo dnf upgrade --refresh step first to verify that fedora is up to date, and maybe add sudo dnf distro-sync --refresh --allowerasing to clean up other packages before even starting the system-upgrade.

There are many cases where version upgrades are not possible with 3rd party software installed and some of those can be seen with a quick search on this forum. It is up to the user to read the error messages and learn what the corrective actions are with experience and over time.

Yes, might be also a good idea to check own old topics like this:
@voodooviking Failed to load /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-33-unstable.repo

2 Likes

I don’t claim to be perfect. Merely doing the best I can and learning every day.

:smiley:

yes I’m afraid that I never solved this issue some years ago and it keeps on haunting me like a ghost in the machine