Fedora root, swap, and /dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-root don't exist, boots into emergency mode

I was using my desktop to install Debian on another hard drive, so I shut the machine down and opened the side panel to attach the other hard drive via SATA cables and install Debian from a USB drive. I go to boot my Fedora machine again and now I get the following warnings.

Warning: /dev/fedora-localhost-live/root does not exist
Warning: /dev/fedora-localhost-live/swap does not exist
Warning: /dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-root does not exist

Earlier in the booting process I also saw the messages

[TIME] Timed out waiting for device dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-swap
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for resume from hibernation using device /dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-swap

After the dracut-initqueue timeouts ended I mounted a USB drive and got the rdsosreport which can be found here: https://files.catbox.moe/92td66.txt
I am unsure how to continue fixing this problem, are my files irrecoverable?

This is confusing
Can you describe what you did in details?

Collect the diagnostics:

cat /etc/default/grub
grep -v -e ^# -e ^$ /etc/fstab
lsblk -o +FSTYPE,UUID
sudo vgs; sudo pvs; sudo lvs

Yea I can write it out in more detail, I’ll just go through the steps I did. I’ve done this a few times before for one reason or another and it’s worked out fine.

1. Wrote Debian to USB drive with dd
  2. Shut down machine by clicking power off in Fedora
  3. Let it finish shutting down completely, then open side panel
  4. Remove SATA cables from fedora drive and attach to hard drive that’s going to have Debian on it
  5. Turn on machine, boot into USB drive from the bios menu, and install Debian to attached drive
  6. Shutdown, unplug Debian drive, and plug back in Fedora drive

Here is the output of each command;

cat /etc/default/grub
No such file or directory

grep -v -e ^# -e ^$ /etc/fstab
No such file or directory

lsblk -o +FSTYPE, UUID
lsblk: command not found

sudo vgs; sudo pvs; sudo lvs
sudo: command not found

When I tried each command by itself (vgs, pvs, & lvs) I was told that no command was found. Apparently sudo and lsblk are not in Dracut’s emergency mode. I apologize, it seems that I may have glossed over that it boots into emergency mode in my opening post. I did find in my own searching that blkid is a working command, so if it helps the output of it can be found here: https://files.catbox.moe/aqp1rx.txt
/dev/sdb was the usb stick I had plugged in to mount and move this text file onto. Lastly when I checked in /etc/ I found a file called fstab.empty.

1 Like

You need utilize chroot from live disk.

1 Like

Ok so I got all my files off, I ended up using testdisk and a flash drive to pour all the files into. Now that all important things are off I’m just going to wipe the main drive and re-install Fedora.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.