Firefox stopped playing videos

What do you get it if you run run firefox from the command line?

1 Like

I get:

$ firefox
Unsupported modifier, resource creation failed.
XXX: resource creation failed

can you check witch profile you running (right mouse button on firefox icon --open the profile manager ) should be two default and default-release. Select default-release and try like that to run videos.

1 Like

it runs default-release by default :slight_smile:
And it’s still the same…

Some seem to think the issue is Firefox and how it communicates with Wayland—as per threads here and here on Reddit—and I can at least confirm no issues running Firefox Nightly on Wayland.

1 Like

ok did you try install ‘firefox-wayland’ launcher --The firefox-wayland package contains launcher and desktop file to run Firefox explicitly on Wayland.

1 Like

I have tried with wayland version. It starts up really fast, but the videos still don’t work

Even FIrefox Nightly doesn’t play videos…

Okay… Just to check all the bases, is this a sound issue and a playback issue; that is, does sound play correctly and its “only” streaming videos with the issue?

1 Like

Sound works as expected.

:+1:t3: and local video playback via Movies or VLC works?

1 Like

Video playback works as expected in Video, VLC and Epiphany. Only Firefox gives me troubles

edit: I am even thinking of re-installing the F36 on the computer. It should fix the issue. But in this case we will never know that went wrong :thinking:

Epiphany, but not other browsers, like Chrome, or you don’t have any others installed? And you’ve executed all the stuff below?

sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

sudo dnf groupupdate multimedia --setop="install_weak_deps=False" --exclude=PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin

sudo dnf groupupdate sound-and-video

4 Likes

Seems to be something serious. Please file a bug at https://bugzilla.redhat.com and I’ll look at it (I’d need some log and info but I’ll ask that at the bug directly).
Thanks.

1 Like

With the 3rd command I get:

Error: 
 Problem 1: problem with installed package libswscale-free-5.0.1-6.fc36.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.x86_64 conflicts with libswscale-free provided by libswscale-free-5.0.1-6.fc36.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.x86_64 conflicts with libswscale-free provided by libswscale-free-5.0.1-1.fc36.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-5.0.1-3.fc36.x86_64 requires ffmpeg-libs(x86-64) = 5.0.1-3.fc36, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
 Problem 2: problem with installed package firefox-100.0.2-1.fc36.x86_64
  - conflicting requests
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.i686 conflicts with libavcodec-free provided by libavcodec-free-5.0.1-1.fc36.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.x86_64 conflicts with libavcodec-free provided by libavcodec-free-5.0.1-1.fc36.x86_64
  - problem with installed package libavcodec-free-5.0.1-6.fc36.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.i686 conflicts with libavcodec-free provided by libavcodec-free-5.0.1-6.fc36.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.x86_64 conflicts with libavcodec-free provided by libavcodec-free-5.0.1-6.fc36.x86_64
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

edit: I was doing this during the meeting :slight_smile: So it seems that I have a higher version of the package already installed.

edit2: and yes, even Chromium works as expected.

1 Like

I will do that in the next days. Thanks

In your case I wii do ‘sudo dnf remove libswscale-free libavcodec-free’ packages and sudo dnf reinstall ffmpeg ffmpeg-libs close firefox reopen and try videos after that

1 Like

Thanks for that. I removed libswscale-free libavcodec-free and installed ffmpeg ffmpeg-libs but with one addition: --allowerasing
Now it works. So no bug in the Firefox, but issues with some other packages.

4 Likes

Good morning, I had the same problem for quite some time that the embedded videos of various providers were not played and Firefox had displayed an error.
All videos on Youtube in VP9 codec were played without problems, but not the streams in VC1. This codec played extremely poorly, no synchronous audio output and some ghosting.
The above workaround helped, thanks to the community.

Please read the common bugs at CommonBugs - RPM Fusion

The clean fix is the following (after having rpmfusion-free installed at least).
dnf swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg --allowerasing

If you don’t have ffmpeg-free package installed, but only the libav*-free ones, just install ffmpeg-free, then switch to the full featured ffmpeg binaries (that will trigger the full featured libraries also).