Firefox too slow in Fedora 35

Hello, so for some weird reason Firefox feels too slow on fedora but is fine on other distros (this doesn’t happen with chromium-based browser such as brave) Firefox on fedora feels laggy and sluggish when scrolling on some websites, an example is https://pop.system76.com/. And also when playing youtube videos the video is very low on frame rate and my laptop’s fan starts getting noisy. I have tried enabled codecs but didn’t help (Though, I might have not enabled them correctly, a guide would be helpful). Any help would be appreciated.
Again, this only happened to me on Fedora and other distros were just fine.

Note: This happened on both Fedora GNOME and Fedora KDE Plasma, but didn’t test out other spins. So the issue seems to be with fedora in general.

Welcome, @linux-user… Do you happen to have “Enable DNS over HTTPS” checked in Firefox’s network settings?

1 Like

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? When you go to about:support page, what does Compositing under Graphics section say?

1 Like

Sorry for the very late reply, it says “WebRender (Software)”

1 Like

You are doing software video decoding, enable hardware accelerated video decoding for Firefox:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firefox_Hardware_acceleration

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I followed the steps but I was still in software mode, but in about:config I enabled gfx.WebRender.enabled and then in compositing it says “WebRender”. But I wonder if enabling gfx.webrender.enabled in about:config makes a security risk (I’m not that tech savvy so this may be a dumb question)

1 Like

I don’t think it is a security risk.

1 Like

After doing some testing, I have realized that the dnf package of Firefox is messed up in some way, so Firefox seems to default to software rendering in all distros (I think windows and macOS too) AFAIK (I don’t know why that’s the case) and usually works fine but is better with hardware rendering, I installed the flatpak version of Firefox in fedora and it worked fine with software rendering (it was slower than when in hardware rendering but wasn’t as bad as the Firefox dnf package), so it seems that the dnf package is laggy, and the Firefox (dnf package) doesn’t have a close animation on wayland (whenever I close it just disappears with no animation whatsoever), but the flatpak version does.