Hello - Greetings from Germany.
i test Fedora 32, first time ever.
i test Linux, first Time ever.
so, i have completed the fedora 32 Installation
now, my System starts.
I used dnf update,in Terminal , so , i think, my system is up to date

now, i find some Things - and i need help - in best Case, your helping Hands
:grinning:

so, please have time for me - i do not roll your eyes, if i ask stupid Questions for linux / Fedora
:innocent:

so, here are my first Questions, for Steps, after installed fedora 32 ( and dnf update in Terminal)

1. include better Themes und Fonts = for more Quality in all watching , reading…

2. Graphic Driver - i use nvidia geforce gtx 1070 Graphic Card - but you can see in Photo - not nvidia Driver is used - or is the activated driver the best one?

3. i saw in some Clips on youtube, that some users told - check the Server Mirrors - so, that you can use the fastest for your own location/Region - what are the steps to do?

4. “Dateien” is the default Data Explorer - i mean, like windows explorer for windows system. Is that the best one, or did you prefer much more a other Programm?

5. Music, Film, Serie = to watch, hear them
    Default Program is "“Rhytmbox” - is that the best one - or did you prefer much more a other Programm?
    did i most important get some codecs/plugins or something else, for having ma quality for using multimedia Stuff, you know?

Note: i do not include something/anything, after installed fedora 32!

1. Passphrase - deactivate = i active them by install fedora 32 - how can i disable them? i find in Settings, to automaticly log in my Account, but the Passphrase Window comes after start the PC - so , how can i disable also that Stuff?

2. i installed fedora 32 with usb stick . how can i now get the usb stick default? (exampel to fat32) because i want to put to the usb stick the data files, that ware on there, before i change the usb stick for bootable fedora system. - so, you know, how can formate them back - when i use “Laufwerke” Programm ( that is default on fedora 32) - i get Error Messages, not possible, ust stick is activate or something like that comes…

i am sure, i find more Things and Questions - but these one, are the first, i find…

thank so sooo much for helping.
:innocent:
Note: my english ist horrible, so, please, answer with easy explains. :grinning:

4 Likes

Hello @dawson Welcome to the community! Please do take a few minutes to go over the introductory posts in #start-here when you have the time. They contain lots of useful information.

1. First enable RPMfusion free and Non-free you ill need for play videos, music and nvidia…
  2. Install gnome-tweaks, for tweaks themes. type in terminal :
    • sudo dnf install gnome-tweaks
  3. Basic Command:
    • use dnf search [pakaked] -> to find it
    • use sudo dnf install [packed] -> for install it

there are a few is your election

applications theme ->

• Materia Dark, -> dnf search materia-gtk-theme
  • numix, -> dnf search numix
  • arc-theme -> dnf search arc-theme

cursor -> ComixCursor-Green -> , dnf search cursor
Icons -> Papirus-Dark -> dnf search papirus

Use gnome-tweaks under appearance to change it

however, gnome works fine with noveau, but is you would like…

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?highlight=(CategoryHowto)

Edit this file: /etc/dnf/dnf.conf and add this line in any part of the file:

fastestmirror=true

there are few, is your election:

• totem -> the default
  • celuloid -> I personally use this as default
  • mplayer
  • gnome-mpv
  • smplayer
  • plexmedia player

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/assembly_installing-plugins-for-playing-movies-and-music/

you can use gparted and blivet for this kind of things, just make sure before formating umount the USB stick, right-click on the USB and Select unmount… inside these applications.

you mean to navigate into the system file, yes is the best is call it NAUTILUS… and is the default for GNOME

you mean -> how to automatic login but without prompt for a password?

NOTE

I hope all your questions have been answered… :100: :clap:

Regards.,

2 Likes

fastest mirror
you say: "edit this file: /etc/dnf/dnf.conf and add this line in any part of the file: fastestmirror=true
= when i double click on that, i can only show “writeprotect” the File.
= how can i open the File, to change something?

[main]
gpgcheck=1
installonly_limit=3
clean_requirements_on_remove=True
best=False
skip_if_unavailable=True

= what exactly i have to do?

Passphrase
i mean: start the Desktop PC - the System runs full automaticly - i did not type in any Passwords ( not for the System; not for Login Password or any other Passwords / Passphrase).
Note: what i have done in past, since fedora 32 Installation? Settings / User / enable Menue with type in Password / automatic Login : click enable

File Manager Nautilus ( in german only calls: “Dateien”)
do you know about any plugins or other mods, for having that maximal perfekt? example, more than two options for showing, that i see: Details; list, Icons - you know, like in other quality file manager - or - example: to enable two screen panel - to use - left field example downloads Folder; right field example ebooks folder = to use simple copy/paste Files, you know…

using nvidia graphic drivers for having best Performance
i think i need time, for reading all and i hope i can get them working.
so, in my case, for me, helps videos, to watch the step by steps…

Video Program - watch Clips, Film - best quality
you told “celuloid” ist your personally
= what exactly i have to do, to use them too (including newest codecs/plugins)?

Gparted for usb stick formats
that had worked fine - thank you so much - all okay.

Themes, Fonts, Icons and Co…
i think i need help, example Video , to watch Step by Step

Mediaplayer for audio files
now, i delete “Rhytmbox” and installed the software Program “Lollypop”, because it had showed for favourite tool for that stuff in the Software Program- very good and much better, i think

1. Open a Terminal to access the console
  2. Install a CLI editor:
    sudo dnf install nano
  3. edit the file sudo nano /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
  4. Add the line at the end of the file
  5. type Ctrl + O -> to write the file
  6. type Ctrl + X -> to exit from the editor

done

First enable RPMfusion free and Non-free you ill need for play videos, music and nvidia…

.- https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/setup_rpmfusion/
.- https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/assembly_installing-plugins-for-playing-movies-and-music/

open a terminal and install wharever you want, for example celuloide

sudo dnf install celuloid

then go to configuration where you enable automatic login and find default application and search video and changit there…

this is a very easy step:

1. use the command dnf search [package]
  2. and sudo dnf install [package]
  3. Install gnome-tweaks , for tweaks themes. type in terminal :
  • sudo dnf install gnome-tweaks
  1. use gnome-tweaks search in gnome-shell find functions at the TOP and select appearance and you can change there:
    • Applications
    • Cursors
    • Icons

there are tons of plug-in for NAUTILUS

just open a terminal and type:

1. dnf search nautilus
  2. and sudo dnf install [package]

you can use double click and open in a new tab and move between tab, or new windows or you can also user highlight, bookmarks, etc

Regards.,

1 Like

fastest mirror:
here my result: (with nano changed to)

[main]
gpgcheck=1
installonly_limit=3
clean_requirements_on_remove=True
best=False
skip_if_unavailable=True
fastestmirror=true

= then write the file ( + Enter ) + exit from the editor
thank you, i think, now, the Setting is right.

Videoprogram - celuloid

= in Software Center, i enabled RPM Fusion ( see in Picture)

then i use the terminal for: sudo dnf install celuloid
i get this Message:

[dawson@dawson-pc ~] sudo dnf install celuloid Letzte Prüfung auf abgelaufene Metadaten: vor 0:08:18 am Mo 11 Mai 2020 21:31:12 CEST. No match for argument: celuloid Fehler: Es konnte kein Treffer gefunden werden.: celuloid [dawson@dawson-pc ~]

maybe i forgot some Steps?

Themes, Fonts, Icons…

= i installed with terminal gnome-tweaks:(sudo dnf install gnome-tweaks)
= i use the Optimaze Tools - in there, i can change some stuff, like Themes, Icons…
i find “Shell” - but where is the files located - here my default Screen.
I only changed to “Adwaita-dark” + the background Screen, after installed fedora 32

maybe i forgot some Steps?

nautilus Plug-in´ s
i type the command in terminal. Did you prefer something?

you do not talk about: Passphrase
what i mean with Passphrase Problem?
i mean: start the Desktop PC - the System runs full automaticly - i did not type in any Passwords ( not for the System; not for Login Password or any other Passwords / Passphrase).
Note: what i have done in past, since fedora 32 Installation? Settings / User / enable Menue with type in Password / automatic Login : click enable

ohh myback, is a incorrect a type

sudo dnf install celluloid

Regards.,

1 Like

some usefull:

evince-nautilus.x86_64 : Evince extension for nautilus
brasero-nautilus.x86_64 : Nautilus extension for brasero
nautilus-extensions.x86_64 : Nautilus extensions library
nautilus-dropbox.x86_64 : Dropbox extension for Nautilus
deja-dup-nautilus.x86_64 : Déjà Dup extension for nautilus
file-roller-nautilus.x86_64 : File Roller extension for nautilus
nautilus-sendto.x86_64 : Nautilus context menu for sending files
seahorse-nautilus.x86_64 : PGP encryption and signing for nautilus
gnome-terminal-nautilus.x86_64 : GNOME Terminal extension for Nautilus
nautilus-image-converter.x86_64 : Nautilus extension to mass resize images
nautilus-search-tool.x86_64 : A Nautilus extension that makes searching for files easier

Regards.,

1 Like

you need to install before use gnome-tweaks

Regards.,

1 Like

same Issue:

[dawson@dawson-pc ~] sudo dnf install celluloid Letzte Prüfung auf abgelaufene Metadaten: vor 0:02:28 am Mo 11 Mai 2020 22:25:04 CEST. No match for argument: celluloid Fehler: Es konnte kein Treffer gefunden werden.: celluloid [dawson@dawson-pc ~]

are you sure you’ve had rpm fusion enable:

❯ LANG=C dnf info celluloid
keybase                                                              15 kB/s | 3.3 kB     00:00    
Installed Packages
Name         : celluloid
Version      : 0.19
Release      : 2.fc32
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 839 k
Source       : celluloid-0.19-2.fc32.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : rpmfusion-free
Summary      : A simple GTK+ frontend for mpv
URL          : https://github.com/celluloid-player/celluloid
License      : GPLv3+
Description  : Celluloid (formerly GNOME MPV) is a simple GTK+ frontend for mpv.
             : It aims to be easy to use while maintaining high level of configurability.

Command Line Setup using rpm

To enable access to both the free and the nonfree repository use the following command:

• Fedora with dnf:

enable rpmfusion free and non-free at the same time:

sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

Regards.,

1 Like

Hi @dawson if you want to remove your password you can type in the terminal:
sudo passwd -d [your username]

@hhlp correct me if i’m wrong but this is the way of removing the password, i’ve read it in the man page, but a double check can be useful.

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank You so much for “all”

Icons, Themes = i understand now the System and it works.

Celluloid, now works. i forgot the last terminal Step:
= did you know about amazing Plugins for that?
when i type in terminal: sudo dnf search Celluloid - i can not see possible plugins ( like codecs or something else)

@simobonfo: i do not mean the User Account Password, to dis-able.
i mean the Passphrase - i think - it is for the data (ssd Data)
that, i do not want to type in, when the PC starts…

@dawson if you are not referring to the user account, did you mean that you have encrypted your ssd and you don’t want to enter the passphrase every time you boot to decrypt it?
If so I don’t think that there is a way to remove or autodecrypt the drive without the need to type the passphrase. The only way that I know (but I have limited knowledge about encrypting disks with luks) is to reinstall the system without disk encryption.
I hope that I understood your problem.

1 Like

You could run
cryptsetup reencrypt --decrypt <LUKS2-encrypted device>
preferably from a live medium. Be prepared to reinstall if you mess this up.

2 Likes

When you follow this procedure, you installed all codecs/plug-in necessary… for all the system independent of what program you use, something different to windows

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/assembly_installing-plugins-for-playing-movies-and-music/

sudo dnf install gstreamer1-plugins-{bad-\*,good-\*,base} gstreamer1-libav --exclude=gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-devel

sudo dnf install lame\* --exclude=lame-devel

Regards.,

daily surprises, folks :grinning:

@hhlp: Thank you so much. i used these 3 commands in Terminal, for movies and music Plugins/codecs
= no issues with Terminal Commands - great !
= now, i am using Celluloid for movies, Lollypop for music
= thank you Folks!

@all
disable passphrase, when the pc try to boot to fedora 32.
when i type that in terminal: cryptsetup reencrypt --decrypt LUKS2-encrypted device>
= in my actually Case/Situation - and not in live boot usb stick medium moments
= it is possible, that it also could helps, and after reboot, the system boots directly (without passphrase type in) ?

= first, daily surprise = yesterday i typed the commands for enable rpmfusion free and non-free in the terminal. Today, i start the pc, the Monitor is blacked - no Phassphrase Screen showed up - nothing - only black Screen
= then i type blind the passphrase on my keyboard, then the Monitor Screen waked up, fedora boots the last steps - so: now, i can boot the pc, i type in the passphrase, the boots final, but the passphrase screen is gone
= and new surprise: in Settings / Info: Grafic: now, the nvidia geforce gtx 1070 is named ( not like before with llvm … calling name

• other Surprise= when i loged out, in past, i saw right below, two choices: gnome or Gnmoe with org (or something like that) - now: no choice, not icon for click on choices
    = is that normal? after enable yesterday the rpmfusion free and non-free:
  • after enable that stuff, today i saw in Settings / Info: Window-Manager is not wayland - it is x11
    = is that also normal, by using nvidia drivers in lnux / fedora?
    = or is something wrong?

maybe this helps for People, for helping me. i find in other Thread, that we have to type in that ( watch the Picture)
click y for yes ?

and here the nvidia Info, what i find today…This is now the Situation, after i typed yesterday the commands in Terminal