Flatpak: How to avoid EOL runtimes (html5-codes, VAAPI Intel)

Hi,

I during an upgrade I noticed that I do have two end of life runtimes, so I removed those. But now everytime I do flatpak update they will be installed again:

Looking for updates…
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.

ID                                               Branch            Op            Remote            Download
 1.     org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel             18.08             i             flathub           < 1.8 MB
 2.     org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs            18.08             i             flathub           < 3.3 MB

How can I figure out who requires those runtimes so I can remove them permanently?

Best regards,
Theo

Try a sudo flatpak repair to identify what is to be removed.

Unfortunately it did not produce mutch information:

tvannahl@hamlet:~ $ flatpak repair
Working on the system installation at /var/lib/flatpak
[18/137] Verifying flathub:runtime/org.gimp.GIMP.Manual/x86_64/2.10…
[68/137] Verifying flathub:runtime/org.libreoffice.LibreOffice.Locale/x86_64/stable…
Checking remotes...
2021-11-07 15:01:50 (⎈ |BINARY-N/A:N/A)
tvannahl@hamlet:~ $ flatpak update
Looking for updates…

ID                                               Branch            Op            Remote            Download
 1.     org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel             18.08             i             flathub           < 1.8 MB
 2.     org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs            18.08             i             flathub           < 3.3 MB

Proceed with these changes to the system installation? [Y/n]: n

Sure it did, these two packages are wanting the EOL runtimes, uninstall them and you will be able to remove the EOL runtimes too. I had the same issue on my F35SB install.

The problem is that one of your other flatpaks is still requiring those end EOL runtimes. You need to see what it requiring those runtimes and either remove it or accept that you will have some EOL runtimes.

I think those two package are the EOL runtimes. Something else must be requiring them, right?

flatpak list --app-runtime=runtime.you.want

1 Like

It would appear so. In my case it showed me a specific flatpak app that was requiring the older runtime (one of them), which i removed. Try to do your update and select y instead of n the next time. Another thing I have had in the past with flatpaks is the OS proper was requiring an update to be applied prior to the flatpak update. So in my case I use Silverblue, so I had to do rpm-ostree update then reboot, prior to updating the flatpak installation. On standard workstation i would think the dnf update may be required, at least for the flatpak runtime.

@jakfrost unfortunately those are the EOL runtimes flatpak wants to install (i instead of u) - in the above example they are not installed but flatpak wants to install them on upgrade.

@dalto cool, I didn’t know this argument. Unfortunately the return value is empty here, even after installing the EOL runtimes as flatpak requests:

Looking for updates…

1. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel             18.08             i             flathub           1.8 MB / 1.8 MB
 2. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs            18.08             i             flathub           3.0 MB / 3.3 MB

Installation complete.
tvannahl@hamlet:~ $ flatpak list --app-runtime=org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codes
tvannahl@hamlet:~ $ flatpak list --app-runtime=org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel

So they need to be installed on Silverlight (Fedora) 34 even so no app is using them :thinking:. But @jakfrost I tried this as well. Now it works even better:

Looking for updates…

ID                                              Branch          Op
 1. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel            18.08           r
 2. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs           18.08           r

Uninstall complete.
2021-11-07 20:50:27 (⎈ |BINARY-N/A:N/A)
Looking for updates…

1. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel             18.08             i             flathub           1.8 MB / 1.8 MB
 2. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs            18.08             i             flathub           3.0 MB / 3.3 MB

Installation complete.

Every odd flatpak update now removes the old and unused runtime and the other update does the installation. :joy:

Does, flatpak uninstall --unused work?

3 Likes

Indeed it does, thanks a lot @grumpey! It worked like charm:

tvannahl@hamlet:~ $ flatpak uninstall --unused

ID                                                              Branch             Op
 1. [-] org.fedoraproject.Platform                                      f34                r
 2. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386                            20.08              r
 3. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.GL32.default                           20.08              r
 4. [-] org.gnome.Platform                                              3.38               r
 5. [-] org.gnome.Platform.Locale                                       3.38               r
 6. [-] org.gnome.Platform                                              41                 r
 7. [-] org.gnome.Platform.Locale                                       41                 r
 8. [-] org.kde.KStyle.Adwaita                                          5.12               r
 9. [-] org.kde.Platform                                                5.12               r
10. [-] org.kde.Platform.Locale                                         5.12               r
11. [-] org.kde.PlatformTheme.QGnomePlatform                            5.12               r
12. [-] org.kde.PlatformTheme.QtSNI                                     5.12               r
13. [-] org.kde.WaylandDecoration.QGnomePlatform-decoration             5.12               r

Uninstall complete.
2021-11-07 21:08:24 (⎈ |BINARY-N/A:N/A)
Looking for updates…
Nothing to do.