Gimp downloaded from dnf as rpm or from flatpak from fedoraproject repo cant open avif

recently i found out that gimp supports avif formats nicely but downloadfrom fedora repo as rpm or flatpak does not comes with avif support but as I recall, AVIF has been created on purpose not to make any legal issues. Though I’m not a lawyer of course
can anyone look into as gimp downloaded from flathub or snap works normally.

i know flatpak issue will be solved if this happens Changes/UnfilteredFlathub - Fedora Project Wiki
but still it is a issue while downloading from dnf (fedoraproject-repo).

1 Like

Do you know how gimp supports it perhaps? Maybe it needs to be enabled at build time? I see no mention of it here:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gimp/blob/rawhide/f/gimp.spec

The thing to do would be to file a bug so that the maintainers can take a look. Perhaps this got missed in an update?

1 Like

here is a test file
ifaik avif is supported with plugin.

sure

edit= 2164329 – AVIF files can't be opened if downloaded from fedora-repo as rpm or flatpak @ankursinha here is the report

1 Like

I recently could open such file (first time I encountered one) with Gimp installed from Flathub.

you need libheif to enable AVIF support, it’s available from rpmfusion

related topics:

5 Likes

How you have installed that gimp can you show.

gimp from flathub: flatpak install flathub org.gimp.GIMP

gimp as rpm from fedora and libheif support from rpmfusion: sudo dnf install gimp libheif

or what you mean?

2 Likes

i now understand the issue with fedora packages gimp uses libheif for avif images but heif is a conflict of license due to apple so unless gimp have a better support for avif(av1) unlike plugin that gimp is using rt now. this package issue will be resolved but i think using flathub package will resolve that and also as fedora making default to flathub. it will resolve for flatpak.

no i have not install libheif or libavif i find the issue as installing with apt on ubuntu works but in fedora installing from dnf does not work

1 Like

It certainly should work if you have the correct rpmfusion repo enabled.

# dnf list libheif
Last metadata expiration check: 2:21:39 ago on Wed 25 Jan 2023 08:11:59 AM CST.
Available Packages
libheif.x86_64                                            1.14.2-1.fc37                                            rpmfusion-free-updates

# dnf install libheif
Last metadata expiration check: 2:24:17 ago on Wed 25 Jan 2023 08:11:59 AM CST.
Dependencies resolved.
=========================================================================================================================================
 Package                    Architecture              Version                            Repository                                 Size
=========================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 libheif                    x86_64                    1.14.2-1.fc37                      rpmfusion-free-updates                    310 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total download size: 310 k
Installed size: 855 k

2 Likes

Ah maybe you installed the flatpak version from the Fedora flatpak repository and not from flathub.

3 Likes

yes exactly what happened now i have installed it from flathub and does not any issues followed by that but something strange happened that just on a clean vm of ubuntu 23.04 and fedora 37 i find avif files show thumbnail in ubuntu but that is not the case in fedora is it the same reason.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2164329#c3
can you guys look into jehan have something said. he is the one of the dev of gimp project.

1 Like

Talking about gimp RPM package

dnf install avif-pixbuf-loader
dnf install gimp-heif-plugin

You need rpmfusion-free for the latter.

2 Likes

yes workaround is always there i was talking about out of the box experience

Well, you cannot have it in fedora as it’s encumbered.
Now I’ve added to the multimedia group:

So dnf groupupdate multimedia will install the plugin if gimp and rpmfusion-free are installed …

3 Likes

but it is good to have what jeran has suggested. compile with only av1 and package that.

See the related topics I linked above

Rebuilding as you suggest would once again potentially violate the fedora policies that exclude using encumbered codecs.