Google Crome flash don't work

My OS = Fedora 30 LXQT (updated today)
I’ve installed google-chrome-stable from Fedora’s repo.

$ rpm -q google-chrome-stable
google-chrome-stable-76.0.3809.100-1.x86_64

Adobe Flash Player Help says

Flash Player is pre-installed in Google Chrome and updates automatically!

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version = 24.0.0
Your browser name = Google Chrome
Your Operating System (OS) = Linux

but flash at the bottom of page says “download failed”

Other flash-based sites don’t work, although flash is allowed.
For example Hoop Game

What is wrong?

Hello @sparcher! Welcome to the community. Please take a minute to go over the posts in the #start-here category if you haven’t had a chance yet.

Just to be accurate for the record, Google Chrome is not in the Fedora repository, but you enabled a third party repository, maintained by Google itself.
Read more on what you can find in the Fedora official repository: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/what-can-be-packaged/

1 Like

Sorry for inaccuracy.
To be accurate, next commands used

dnf install fedora-workstation-repositories
dnf config-manager --set-enabled google-chrome
dnf install google-chrome-stable

“fedora-workstation-repositories” confused me

No problem. :+1: In this forum we are here to also learn new things, not only to report problems. :slight_smile:

dnf info fedora-workstation-repositories
[...]
Description  : Repository files that make some select non-Fedora software available
             : via search in gnome-software.

Talking about Chrome.
Did you check if Flash is updated?
Write chrome://components in the URL bar and click on Check for updates. Eventually reload this page.

Moreover, go to the Flash setting chrome://settings/content/flash and try to enable Ask first. Then reload the page with the Flash content.

Check this Google help page: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6258784

3 Likes

You can try chromium-freeworld and chromium-pepper-flash from UnitedRPMs.

I’d always strongly advise using RPMFusion as the only repository other than Fedora’s standard ones. It has Chromium in it too.

1 Like

@FranciscoD, I’m aware of that, but RPM Fusion has no chromium-pepper-flash which is the cause of this thread.

1 Like

@sparcher, I’ve checked on my system (Gnome DE, google chrome the same version you have).

Adobe’s page in my case says:

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version	-- 32.0.0
Your browser name -- Google Chrome

Note my version is 32, while yours reported is 24.

Please follow @alciregi’s suggestions to try to update chrome’s built-in plugin.

In my case, even after trying to update chrome’s plugin and enabling flash I’ve got the following result:

Adobe’s test page – after reloading it I see Google Chrome’s popup saying “Adobe Flash plugin is blocked because it’s outdated” with two buttons: [Update plugin] and [Run once]. Update plugin takes me to the https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6258784

However if I click run once – flash content loads successfully.

On Hoop Game page worked the same but only after I’ve disabled all the plugins which blocked advertisement (note a blue column on your screenshot) – Ublock origin included. After it showed me adverts for some time outdated plugin popup appeared and only after that flash content was loaded.

Here’s some random flash games site https://www.agame.com/game/billiards-master-pro which worked without additional hoops Hoop Game required (no pun intended) – but still only after I clicked [Run once] button.

1 Like

Hrm, not really. The OP is mainly speaking about Chrome, not Chromium. Chrome from google includes all of this (or so I thought).

1 Like

I read Google help page before.
In my screenshot you can see Flash alowed.

've read ones more…
chrome://components show Version 0.0.0.0
Components_01

after press “Check for updates” - Version 0.0.0.0 :frowning:
Components_02

Thanx. I didn’t know about UnitedRPMs. Will install and explore.

I’ve installed Cromium from RPMFusion yesterday’s evening.
Thуn add pepperflash as https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/installing-chromium-or-google-chrome-browsers/ says.
Everything work fine.
Flash works.
YouTube works. Even without chromium-libs-media-freeworld.

Chrome :frowning:

2 Likes

Maybe I don’t understand something and need to install some packages, for example flash-player-ppapi-32.0.0.223-release.x86_64.rpm ?

Can you show me exhaust commands

rpm -qa | grep -i flash

and

find /usr/lib64 -name "*flash*so"

Google Chrome has flash built-in, you’re right.

I’m quite sure Chromium does not – I assume that’s why it needs chromium-pepper-flash @vgaetera suggested. Though I have to say, I haven’t used Chromium for a very long time.

2 Likes

No, you normally don’t. Google Chrome has flash plugin built-in – and either updated automatically, or at least updated whith google-chrome-stable package – at least so I though.

That’s strange, mine shows version 32.0.0.192

rpm -qa | grep -i flash output is empty – and I know for sure I have no flash packages installed on my system.

$ find /usr/lib64 -name "*flash*so"
/usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libflashlo.so

And after some poking around I’ve found that Google Chrome’s flash library is located at:

~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/32.0.0.192/libpepflashplayer.so

So it’s actually isn’t included in the google-chrome-stable rpm package, chrome seems to be downloading it after installation. That’s news for me – but then I don’t use flash, almost ever.

Just so you know – youtube (and other major video tubes / streams) doesn’t need flash to work for several years already. They all moved to html5 for video playback in the browser.

As far as I understand, at this time you’ll need flash for some legacy stuff (where maintainers can’t or simply not interested to move), flash games being the most probable / widespread usecase.

2 Likes

Really,
~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/
exist. But it’s empty.

I create 32.0.0.238 subdir and put libpepflashplayer.so manifest.json there.

chrome://components/ says Version: 32.0.0.238
https://helpx.adobe.com/ua/flash-player.html says 24.0.0

Flash dont work.

Three machines. Two phisical, one virtual.
All the same.

I surrender.

@sparcher, isn’t your Ublock Origin configured to block flash by any chance? Have you tried disabling it, at least for troubleshooting?