Gufw does not start, terminal goes straight to next line when execute gufw after authentication

I had tried disabling firewalld from systemctl and even uninstalling firewalld, and then enabled ufw in systemctl, and then executed ufw enable, and the ufw status is active.

I had followed the steps to install rpmsphere and then install gufw, and I see gufw in my software selections, but when I execute it after entering my authentication information, I get nothing. It’s as if I just ran a blank command.

Is there any entry in var/log I can look into to see why gufw didn’t output anything?

I am using Fedora 30 with LXQT desktop

@Captainplanet is GUFW even avaliable for Fedora? Because when i search

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages

i only see UFW but not GUFW. Couldn’t find it in the RpmFusion repo as well.
It’s not listed in RpmSphere’s GitHub page.

Why not just use UFW from Terminal.

Here are some links that might help you:
Ubuntu manpage
and
Arch wiki

Hi @Captainplanet! Welcome to the community! Please do take a few minutes to go over the introductory posts in #start-here when you have the time. They contain lots of useful information.

Are you sure using ufw of gufw is a good idea? As far as I understand, they both are just a gui/frontend to iptables, and Fedora uses firewalld instead as it’s interface. And it’s pretty simple, by the way. :slight_smile:

Maybe if you’re set to doing this this way (this is a free operating system, you’re free to do what you want with it) you need to look up removing firewalld (yep, I saw that you’ve already tried) and enabling iptables instead.

Me personally, I use firewalld, it works good for me, easy to configure and easy to transfer my customizations to another machines.

I found the guide to install gufw on pkgs, which basically tells me to download rpmsphere and install gufw from rpmsphere repository, and it did install it
https://fedora.pkgs.org/30/rpm-sphere-noarch/gufw-18.04.0-5.1.noarch.rpm.html

and this is rpmsphere’s gufw page
https://github.com/rpmsphere/noarch/blob/master/g/gufw-18.04.0-5.1.noarch.rpm

I know I can just use ufw on its own, but I am trying to find out why gufw doesn’t work. Never looked into debugging things in fedora and I want to experience the process to figure things out.

gnome-terminal
gufw
gnome-logs

I am using lxqt, does lxqt have something similar to these 2 tools?

Open a terminal, launch gufw and check the output.

It doesn’t output anything in terminal. It skips right to the next line.

Check the logs:

journalctl --no-pager --since "5m ago"

– Logs begin at Wed 2019-06-05 21:01:27 EDT, end at Mon 2019-07-29 12:31:59 EDT. –

Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: USER_AUTH pid=5736 uid=1000 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:authentication grantors=pam_succeed_if,pam_localuser,pam_unix acct="(my user name)" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: USER_ACCT pid=5736 uid=1000 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:accounting grantors=pam_unix,pam_localuser acct="(my user name" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 sudo[5736]: (my user name) : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD= (my home path); USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/gufw
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: USER_CMD pid=5736 uid=1000 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='cwd="(my home path)" cmd="gufw" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" terminal=pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: CRED_REFR pid=5736 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_localuser,pam_unix acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 sudo[5736]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: USER_START pid=5736 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:session_open grantors=pam_keyinit,pam_limits,pam_keyinit,pam_limits,pam_systemd,pam_unix acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 pkexec[5743]: pam_unix(polkit-1:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5743]: USER_START pid=5743 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:session_open grantors=pam_keyinit,pam_limits,pam_systemd,pam_unix acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/pkexec" hostname= addr=? terminal=pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 pkexec[5743]: root: Executing command [USER=root] [TTY=/dev/pts/0] [CWD=(my home path)] [COMMAND=/usr/bin/gufw-pkexec root]
Jul 29 12:31:58 sudo[5736]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: USER_END pid=5736 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:session_close grantors=pam_keyinit,pam_limits,pam_keyinit,pam_limits,pam_systemd,pam_unix acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:58 audit[5736]: CRED_DISP pid=5736 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=2 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t: msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_localuser,pam_unix acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
Jul 29 12:31:59 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Succeeded.
Jul 29 12:31:59 audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=fprintd comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'

You may try this:
dnf install https://github.com/rpmsphere/noarch/raw/master/g/gufw-19.10.0-1.noarch.rpm

2 Likes

@Captainplanet, as far as I can understand, *gufw is a graphical front-end to ufw. So for gufw to work you should have ufw working.

ufw, on the other hand, is the command-line utility and as such should provide you with plenty information (in the cli and/or in the log file) about it’s actions and problems.

So maybe you should try to play with ufw at first, check it’s output and it’s logs – and when you’re sure you can do some basic stuff with ufw – then you can return to your experiments with gufw.

Obligatory note: the only third party repository supported by the Fedora community is RPMFusion, because it is also maintained by Fedora community members and thus, follows thesame packaging guidelines and review processes as Fedora does.

If you are using other third party repositories, in general, please keep in mind that you may have to speak to the providers for help.

2 Likes